Aqua C Remora Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boardsurfer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have two questions for you all:

1) Just a question for those that do not have a sump. I used the prefilter box for my Remora and I really don't like it. I REALLY have to tweak it to get any good use out of it. From my understanding, it's supposed to skim off any excess nutrients and crap (the oil that you see) off of the top of your tank. Well...I used the prefilter box and I honestly have to tweak it within a centimeter or less for it to work. The prefilter box will be too high up to work, or the water will be too low and my Maxi-Jet will suck air and water and not work properly. I have to perform topoffs with RO/DI water waaaay too much. How do you guys/gals tweak it?

2) Second question is that my Remora is producing water as a form of skimmate instead of bubbles. My past protein skimmers used to give me a dark gunk of bubble skimmate, but now all I'm getting is nasty water. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance :wink:

boardsurfer said:
I have two questions for you all:

1) Just a question for those that do not have a sump. I used the prefilter box for my Remora and I really don't like it. I REALLY have to tweak it to get any good use out of it. From my understanding, it's supposed to skim off any excess nutrients and crap (the oil that you see) off of the top of your tank. Well...I used the prefilter box and I honestly have to tweak it within a centimeter or less for it to work. The prefilter box will be too high up to work, or the water will be too low and my Maxi-Jet will suck air and water and not work properly. I have to perform topoffs with RO/DI water waaaay too much. How do you guys/gals tweak it?

No tweaking I'm afraid. The daily top offs are just part of having a sw tank for me. :?

boardsurfer said:
2) Second question is that my Remora is producing water as a form of skimmate instead of bubbles. My past protein skimmers used to give me a dark gunk of bubble skimmate, but now all I'm getting is nasty water. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance :wink:

You've probably already tried this but it's the first thing that comes to mind, have you tried adjusting the O ring on your collection box? Move it up or down til you get the consistency you want. HTH

I think I'm giving up on mine also. That seemingly 1/2" of water level adjustment in order to keep it right doesn't work for me either. Not a daily top-off type guy.

Guess I'll go back to my Bak Pak.

"Aqua C Remora w/prefilter box for sale!!!!"

Honestly ... I love my prefilter box! I top off every other day or so and have no issues with it.
I don't see how you CAN'T top off if your water level drops low enough to not "spill" over the grooves of that box. From what I see in my tank, thats about an inch or so of water level your losing which could calculate into a 1/2 gallon or so. Depending on your tank size a 1/2 gallon could be a significant raise in your SG!
Sometimes all it takes is to "tap" the pre-filter box down just a hair and your levels will raise enough to fill that chamber back up.

as for the consistancy of your skim mate the skimmer is producing, Fluff was spot on ... you have to move the collection cup up using the O-ring, the higher your cup the drier your skim. the lower the cup the wetter the skim!

Constant tinkering is a MUST in the saltwater hobby. If you don't, your bound to have issues somewhere down the line. JMO!

WOW ... my first post here in a LOOOOOONG time!!!

WOW ... my first post here in a LOOOOOONG time!!!

Glad this issue brought you back out. 8)

And you're right, I am lazy, but mine was sucking air every day on a 46g tank with only flourescent lights.

Yeah it's been a while, my life has been so crazy lately I haven't had a chance to even think!

I will agree with you that it does take some constant tinkering to get it working properly but the buildup of surface scum in my tank was unbearable and since I didn't have the option of an overflow into sump this was my only choice!

there is a post right under this where someone is looking for a skimmer for their 29gal. If you are still selling your Remora you may have a buyer in that thread! Check it out!

I have the regular Remora with the box as well. I wish I would have saved my money for something else. I have never collected anything but about 2 cm of green water at one time. And I do top off daily.

Back
Top Bottom