aqua-c vs. euro reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ohio reefer

Aquarium Advice Freak
it's shopping time!

i was wondering wich you guys (gals) prefer. aqua-c urchin or euro-reef es5-3 protien skimmers. they are both about the same price. i need it for 120gal. i would rather have an in-sump but if you guys recomend a better, by all means. i know that the urchin goes up to 120gal and i'm not sure on the es5-3, but should i go with a larger? the urchin has a max drive pump, hows the sedra 3500 in the es5-3?

TIA

mark

i have heard many good things aboutt he euro-reef skimmers. however for your size tank you'd probably want to get the es6-1, the es5-3 is rated up to 90 gallons. that is all of my knowledge.
steve

i would go with the CS6-1 also. The ES5-3 is a little underpowered for your tank. The urchin is also. I do know of a local guy who runs a ES5-3 on his 120g tank with no problems. He does have a refugium full of calurpa though so that make a difference. The sedra pumps blow the mag away. they are quieter and built way better. I believe the are more energy efficient also but don't quote me on that!

i have the es5-3 on my 65 and i LOVE IT. it is by far the best investment ever. i have to adjust the riser tube way down othewise it skims just about everything out of my tank. also i find it very easy to clean. which i do about every 2 months. i would highly recommend euroreef skimmers to you.

i like both but of course im the diy guy and id just make my own, consider that also when looking at skimmers. Euroreef and aquac both make simplistic and easily clone-able skimmers at 1/2 the price. :)

Clonaable yes but you cannot get the pump impellar that Euro reef uses. They will not sell to anyone that is not a registered warranty holder.

OK, here's what a little research turned up. The Euroreef CS6-1 is rated for up to a 100 gal tank. Cheapest price I found for it was $338.00. The CS6-2+ is rated for up to a 125 gal tank and sells for $418.00. The Aqua C EV 180 is rated for up to a 270 gal tank and can be had with a Mag 7 for $356.00. The Aqua C EV 240 is rated for up to a 360 gal tank and sells for $449.00 with a Mag 12 pump. These are the ratings supplied by the manufacturer. IMO, most manufacturers are a bit liberal with their ratings. I have never used the Euroreef or the EV series so I can't recommend either above the other. I have used the Aqua C Remora though so I know the air injection principle works well. My opinion is that you'd be just fine with either brand as long as you get one large enough to handle your tank.

do you guys think that the uro reef cs6-1 will work with a refugium filled with calurpa like darin mentioned above. i'm building a refugium now and plan to stock it with that and live rock.

what do you think?

mark

I actually think that macro algae takes more out of the water than skimmers. Since i installed my macro sump last year my remora has reallly slowed down in the skimate production.

dito! now that i have my macro in the bottom of my tank it grows like crazy and the skimmer doesn't pull as much out of the water. i used to have to empty it at least once a day. now once a week is enough

I think Euro reef under rates their skimmer. Most of them are very large so you need to pay attention to how much room you have under the sump.

Back
Top Bottom