Aquarium computer software?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattmku

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've read a few articles that have mentioned computer systems that will monitor and dose your aquarium water. Are there any good systems now or is this a thing of the future?

Hi,
I would quite like to know about this as well.
It would be great to just have a laptop connected to your fish tank to regulate lights (even adjusting to seasonality, you could just type in the lattitude you wanted to replicate), temperature, salinity, monitor water parameters etc. It's something I have always toyed with doing.
Jeff

well a lot of the stsyems out there that will comtrol the lighting and water chem are $$$ but i do know there are some prgrams out there that you can get to recrod all things added to the tank and what the price was and what the water is testing at. i think one of them is infinity and are part of this site.

Hi,

I downloaded one from this site and found it to be rather good. I then realised that if you already have Excel on your computer you can pretty much do it all in Excel and make some excellent graphs to boot of your water chemistry. (If you don't have excel, openoffice's spreadsheet application is almost completely compatible. In fact, I think it would be fun to make some excel templates available to aquarists.

With regard to automating an aquarium, I had something quite different in mind. I thought that one might be able to come quite close to replicating the seasonality of an Amazon tributary by changing the water flow and temperature, similulating the changing lighting conditions, salinity and so forth and see if you couldn't get some real troublemakers to spawn for you. And then there is the concept of the automated water change. Now that would be great!!! Jeff

thats exactly what i was thinking about. With today's technology I can't imagine that there isn't a system that can do it.

Seems to me from what I can see so far is that the systems are all too divergent in the way they work. You would need a more or less common interface to the computer that would allow you to use a common interface such as x10 or the pict controllers to effect what you want.
I wonder what a little googling under home automation might reveal. Jeff

there is reefcon pro. that is software that has a computer interface with it. that will do all like stock and real time water chem i do think. and then there is the neptune system and the aquaccontroller pro. take a look at merinedepot.com for more info on them.

Back
Top Bottom