Aquarium photography

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Davidfrances

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What is the best way to photograph your aquarium and it's inhabitants? I have a 120 gal lit by 2x175w 10k MH and 1x 250w 20k MH. Everytime I photograph it, I get the reflection from the flash in the glass. Also, should one use a macro lens to photo up close. I have a 35mm SLR body and lens. I've tried using faster film, but the pictures come out funny.

just keep trying

i have found low iso works best for me also macro mode this pic was taken with flash on lense touching front glass iso 100

img_187267_0_b07ff1380f34b7dd53751831e0f7282a.jpg

just take lots :wink: [/img]

LOL, my camera can't take aquarium pictures without the flash.

your using an old fashion camera? if so you really should get a digital camera, this way you can take all the pics you want and dont have to wait to get them developed.

you have to be able to turn off the flash read your owners manual or at least put tape over the flash

No, I mean if I take the picture without the flash it's all blurry and doesn't look like anything. Putting my finger over the flash doesn't work either. :p It either turns everything red (flash going through my finger 8O) or exhibits the aforementioned wonkiness.

I second the digital. My digital camera lets me take 150 bad pictures and 3 good ones with no cost to me! :D

Manually set your white balance, if you use a flsh, try to use an external and get it off camera iff possible...best is either a 45* angle from the glass with the lens at a 90 or flash from above the aquarium. Use a tripod, use a small aperture (large f/stop).

One of my 35mm cameras has a jumper wire I can attach between the camera and the flash. This lets me hold the flash anywhere, like above the water when I take pictures. If you have an older decent camera, see if it has that option. And a tripod is a great piece of equipment.

i used to use my old 35mm slr for taking picts of everything, however sometimes i would go through a whole roll, with out a single picture turning out of my tank. maybe its just me sucking at taking pictures, but since i turned to digital there is no comparison! the pictures that did end up looking okay from my slr, were picts that i took using my +4 macro lenses, right up against the glass, with my flash or camera tilted at an angle.
good luck,
mermaid

Back
Top Bottom