aquarium too hot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevedpepper

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all, I recently discovered my 125g acrylic tank has a constant temperature reading of 86-87F. I have the lights on 9 hours a day. My heater is set at 80F. I only have 4 damsels and a couple starfish. I want to add more fish but am concerned this temp might harm them...

1) how do I lower temperature without buying a chiller?
2) is this temp too high?
3) what can this temp do to my tank/fish?

Thank you!

If you have a digital thermometer, Check the batteries. I had one that gave me a scare - as the batteries died, the temp went up! I now only use traditional (or stick on) thermometers.

Second, Do you have a closed top? If so, you might want to try opening it up. evaporation cools the tank considerably. in the hot summer days I rigged a computer fan to blow on the water of my freshwater tank and it cooled it off by about 4 degrees.

Hope that helps!

I am concerned about evaporation if I remove the lid. Also, my batteries are brand new... I like the fan idea...

The fan will cause SOME evaporation which will cool the water.

However, if you ahve it blow the air outwards (away from the water) it'll remove the hot air your lights/ballast are making.

Aiming it towards the water will also remove the hot air, but also increase evaporation.

If you go to any computer store, you can pick up a 5Volt 80mm case fan (or 120mm) They're not rated for moisture - but mine worked fine for when I needed it. The benefit of using 120 or 80mm fans instead of the little 40mm ones found in some fixtures is that they're quite quiet.

Then, you can power the fan with any old 5 volt transformers you have laying around. A canniblized cell phone charger my also work. ****, I've even used a USB port from a computer - but it ain't pretty.

Hi some good advice there:). What i have done at times is move the light starter ballast if you can away from the tank,leave the lid open {i use cover glass so condensation is not a problem} Use an air pump and a air stone and place the pump low down - but with an anti syphon adaptor on the airline. Turn off the lights during the hottest part of the day. I also always rely on two thermometers rather than one and i use two different types - paranoid maybe:facepalm:

Your tank is way too hot in my opinion. 78-82 degrees is what I would shoot for. Consistency is important, but you are at a temperature where coral bleaching can occur.

Fans will help, but increases evaporation, which isn't a big deal either if you are replenishing with RO/DI water. But it wont cause a 6 degree drop, thats what you really need. If you are running MH lighting, there isn't much you can do other than convert to LED or buy a chiller.

Back
Top Bottom