Are my Power Heads enough for a 140 gal tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blaster

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi again Everyone,

I just installed a UV in my tank. Before I had three AquaClear 802 PowerHeads. Know that I am using one of these heads for my UV will I need another Powerhead or two will be fine.

The set-up is when looking directly in front on the far left I have the UV installed in the middle I have the other power head slightly pointing up and the third power head is at the far corner of the tank point straight on.

Shoot me with questions if you have any.

So all you have is three powerheads for the entire tanks water movment? I know the 802's are rated at 500GPH but IMO you need alot more than that for that size tank.

Make sure the 802's output is not to fast for the wattage of UV that you have aswell.

Fishfreek how many more power heads should I place into the tank. To be honest I thought there were enough power heads already. My LFS said that three was perfect but when I replaced it one of them as a UV I thought the other two will be good enought.

The output for my UV is just right not to much and not to little.

i was told 6 PH's total for my 120gal. Of course my tank is only 48 " long. that would be two on both sides and two in the middle.

how long is your tank? you might need four in the middle if your tank is 72"

hth

mark

Are you serious. Mines is 72" long. That is two much. I only have LR and a couple of fishs plus some snails and crabs for know.

How come this person at the LFS said three would be best. Ever since we bought this fish tank he has lied from A to Z. everytime I write for advise it is the opposite that my LFS said. I believe all to guys and gals out there because it sounds like I do need that many.

That is two much

Its almost impossible to have to much flow in our saltwater tanks. While three 500GPH poweheads puts your total flow at 1500GPH or just over 10 times the capacity of your tank I like to use that as more of a starting point vs a goal.

There are lots of places in your tank where the water flow is almost stagnent im sure due to how the rocks and such affect and direct the water current.

Honestly I cant say you need X powerheads that produce XXXGPH each. Why do I feel I cant difinitvly say this? Because each tank is unique in how water flows in it. How you have your live rock will govern how the water current flows around the tank. I have seen tanks with close to 20 times the tank capacity flow and still have areas in the tank where water flow was almost non existant and then again I have seen tanks that have had 12 time the tank capacity in water flow and evetything in the tank is geting a fairly good water movement.

I think three on the back blowing toward the front is to few though. Maybe two in the corners blowing toward the middle and one or two blowing from the sides along the back and toward the middle. The concept is to produce random water currents in the water.

Thank you fishfreek for your comments of the power heads. I will install one more for know and see how that will turn up. Maybe I will stick my hand into the tank and feel were the waves are the strongest and weakest. At least it will be a start.

Back
Top Bottom