Are my shrimp getting enough food??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
As soon as I put some food in, my clown gulps it all back! There's barely any scraps left to sink to the bottom.

I have 3 shrimp - 2 skunk cleaners and 1 fire, occasionally one or two will get a bit and jump up for it (quite amusing!) but there doesn't seem to be much for them.

Otherwise, they're picking at my rock all day, but I've been told I don't specifically have to feed my shrimp.

How do I know they're getting enough food? They seem to go mad as soon as I put some in! Crawling up the sides of the tank really fast to try and get to it - it's as if someone's just pressed an "on" button on them! :p[/u]

Mine are the same way. They go nuts at feeding time. Kent makes some Marine Carnivore Pellets that the shrimp seem to like. I drop a couple of those in for the shrimp once in a while and they snap them up right away. The star likes them too. I wouldn't feed them more than about twice a week though. You might increase the amount of regular food just a bit too...as long as you have a good cleanup crew, it shouldn't cause any problems.

Shrimp will scavenge what they need but I do target feed mine from time to time. Get a turkey baster and find the shrimp and blast some food his way every now and then. Usually if I get the turkey baster out my shrimp sees it coming and knows its feeding time, of course so do the fish, but the shrimp usually gets his fill that way.

Mine hand feed. Usually when I feed some silversides to my bta, I give a piece to my cleaner. It actually was a necessity with one of my cleaners- he would take food from the bta if he wasn't preoccupied.

Back
Top Bottom