Are protein skimmer nessisary on nano reefs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I run a skimmer rated for 100 gallons on my 29 gallon and my water was crystal clear I'd recommended it

Necessary? Not necessarily. But I would say its worth the money. I run a Super Reef Octopus XP1000 and love it. It's bulky, but does amazing work.

I would get a skimmer made for that tank, I now there is an oceanic one that I am ordering. $30 and works as well as the $150 Tunze.

I had the biocube skimmer and in my opinion youre better off going without a skimmer. Was a pain to adjust and when it finally was skimming it wasn't doing a very good job. results may vary I suppose....

Greenturtle said:
I now there is an oceanic one that I am ordering. $30 and works as well as the $150 Tunze.

I've heard bad things about the biocube skimmers. :/

I have a Deltec mce300 on the back of my 20 gallon reef and it removes a lot of skimmate.

And not a micro bubble in sight. Also very easy to set up and keep running, nearly just plug and play.

I would say on a nano tank a skimmer takes out more good stuff than it does bad stuff. It is best just to do water changes weekly or even a couple of smaller water changes a couple of times a week to keep the tank as stable as possible. Doing water changes not only keeps the nitrates down it also replaces minerals that are depleted.

Water changes are one of the most important things you can do for the health of your tank.

Back
Top Bottom