Are sea slugs bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mo8cinco

Aquarium Advice Regular
Find these creatures beautiful. I have live rock coral invertabrae and fish in my tank. It's been established for more than a year. If I add sea slugs is there any bad side to them? Will they eat my coral or anything? Will they harm my fish?

Reactions: Zoi
i've heard if they die they release toxins and poison the system. if you plan on gettign one i'd be sure to run a lot of carbon and keep it fresh just in case

I had a seahare for almost a year. he was very cool. His name was Bob. :)

he went missing about a month or so ago. I had to supplement his feeding of algae with algae sheets. Not the easiest critter to take care of and from what people have said recently it's almost unheard of to have one as long as i did. They tend to starve or get sucked up by filters and powerheads.

I had a sea hare briefly (Around 6 months). He was awesome for algae elimination but then, one day, POOF, disappeared without a trace.

Never saw any major spikes in bad ju-ju in the tank as a result of his death, but he was a very small one (maybe 2 inches) in a 72 gallon tank, so it may just have been "not enough bad stuff to be detectable"

The sea hare group many people seem to be successful with.

Many other species have VERY specialized diets and eat only certain corals, flatworms, etc. I think the problem with them in general is knowing what they eat and being able to provide it.

I got a 60 gallon. I think they are beautiful and would really love to have a few. The fact that my LFS doesn't sell them concerns me. You thinks they are ok?

Size of the tank wouldn't be a problem - the problem is, do you have what they like to eat? :p

I had a brown-ish Bali sea hare. Not very much to look at but he was su ugly he was cute. and they are like big marshmallows when you handle them. It's so weird holding one. lol

Mine never inked once or showed that he could. he grew very fast though, from about 2 inches to over 6 inches in just under a year.

What type of sea slug were you looking at?

And it doesn't really matter as long as its colorful! They're so vibrant I can't imagine that any slug wouldnt be an amsing addition to the aquarium I just never heard much about them

For sea hares, yes. Do some homework before buying any livestock though - find out species that you're looking at and do some googling. It'll save you a lot of cash and heartache later.

Back
Top Bottom