Are these sweeper tentacles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yaksplat

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm unsure as i haven't seen any pictures before and I haven't seen my hammer coral do this. Also, this is the most he's been out since i got him last friday. it probably helped that I got the alk over 10dKH, up from 8.

sweeper_hammer.JPG

Yep those are sweeper tentacles. They can be pinched off, but make sure you remove them from the tank, even just floating around without their coal body the nematocysts will fire.

it probably helped that I got the alk over 10dKH, up from 8

Yep, IME, Euphyllia sp are very sensitive to ALK and PH levels.

If there are any other corals within striking distance you'll want to remove them as a temporary solution, as a more permanant solution, you'll wan't to give it plenty of space.

Its not always the case, but sometimes hammers are more prone to produce sweepers if they are in a flow zone thats a little higher than they are accustom to. You might find less frequency if you place them in a more moderate flow zone, maybe not. In any case I would keep an eye on them. Euphyllia can pinch off sweepers that adhere to LR or if water quality is bad and the free floating sweeper will do massive damage to other corals. Nothing to panic about, however keep your eye on it. Also if you pinch them off wear gloves!

Back
Top Bottom