Asian market seaweed suitability for herbi-/omni-vorus fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaBear

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello forum...not really a problem this time, more gathering of information.

I am finally convinced that the roasted seaweed (Yaki Nori/Sushi Nori) from the local Asian market is as good as, if not superior to, the stuff you pay a premium price for at the LFS. My Tang, Angel and Butterfly go through almost a whole sheet a day. It's good for them, they like it, so it's a no-brainer to say I will gladly provide as much as they will eat.

But are there other foods I can also use to provide the largest possible variety for my scaly friends? For example, they also sold bags of dried seaweed in it's original form (i.e., still in strands, just dry, instead of pressed into a square sheet) 2-3 feet long for pennies per serving. Would this make a suitable meal as well if I hang it in the tank?

My thought is, I could put a couple strands of this along with a piece of the sheet stuff, because they eat the sheets quickly, and by the time they finish the sheet, the dried seaweed strands would be softened up and they would have stuff to graze on all day while I'm at work. It's not practical for me to run home every 2 hours and hang another sheet.

Also, what about dried kelp? Is it safe as well? I bought some of this, because I figured kelp is a form of seaweed. But I hung a piece of it in the tank, and as it started to soften, I noticed some clear, wavy lines leeching out of it, like when aquarium salt first starts to dissolve. I wasn't convinced it was safe, so I removed it in less than a minute. I would hate for some weird additive to poison the tank.

Any other suggestions for the healthiest variety? I feed seaweed, Formula One, Formula Two, Prime Reef, VHP, Angel Formula, spirulina flakes and occasional live brine in the main tank. The butterfly in the QT eats seaweed, frozen mysis and live brine, but won't touch anything else, even when I mix it in with the live brine. I'm concerned I'm not offering a broad enough of a buffet, especially where the butterfly is concerned.

What about things like: frozen krill, Cyclopeze, zooplankton, frozen clams, etc. Doesn't matter what it costs, if it's good for them and they'll eat it, I'll gladly buy it.

--Aquabear

With the kelp I wonder if it might have been salted? Did you give it a taste to see if it tasted like it was seasoned. The dried seaweed should be fine if it is indeed just dried seaweed.

Other diet items include marine flakes and meaty foods like clams, shrimp, clams, etc. I try to feed my blender mush at least once or twice a week. Within my blender mush I have the following.

Saltwater
Clams
Squid
Shrimp
Oysters
Nori
Tuna Steak

The saltwater is added for consistancy. If you dont add it you will end up with a very very thick mush that is almost impossible to work with in the blender. What you end up with is lots of various sized meaty particles from near liquid to 1/8" size chunks. Pour this into small ziplock sandwich bags and press it out so its about 1/4" thick and allow to freeze in the freezer laying flat. When you elect to feed you break off a little bit of the food and allow to thaw in some tank water and then pour into the tank. Fish will go wild.

well im korean as a few of you know. we drive around 90 mins to a store in chicago. its around 1-3$ on like 5 sheets of "geem or geam" (thats the korean name :)) so okay its $ for the cheap kind (which personally i like) or 3$ for the more expensive kind. it has kind of a burnt taste that my mom says "is more korean". the cheap kind might be 2 $ and expensive might be 3-4. i forget. i like the presalted kind because i usually put too much.

only problem is ive never used the "nori" for my tank (lfs kind) so... im not sure if you can get the dry kind because the kind we get is oiled.

ill ask my mom

Did you give it a taste to see if it tasted like it was seasoned.
Oh heck no. Never dawned on me to try...even though I'm sure it's perfectly edible, I can barely stomach terrestrial veggies. :wink: I just saw what it was doing and yanked it out immediately. I never want to do anything that's going to hurt my little friends.

I stopped at LFS and bought some Ocean Nutrition Clams to try, based on your recommendation, FiskFreek. I'll give them a try on the next feeding, but it makes perfect sense. And your Blender Mush reminds me of those commercials for Florida orange juice where they put salmon, liver and stuff in a blender, but I can see where fish would probably go NUTS over it! Forgive my ignorance, but by tuna steak, oysters and shrimp, are you taking the same human grade of food I could buy at the grocery store/Asian market as long as it is fresh, raw and not seasoned, treated or chemically altered, or are you referring to special fish food grade products? I know that's splitting hairs, but I have to be sure I don't do something perfectly innocently and create problems.

Thank you!
I'm earnestly trying to keep all my marine fish from relying on non-live food as much as possible.

Back
Top Bottom