ATI bulbs + individual reflectors OR 250 hqi MH??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TRDfan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im currently running on a aqua traders quad T5ho system on my tank that has Xenia, GSPs, mushrooms and zoos. Im looking to upgrade my lighting and im debaiting on these 2 options

Option A - 4 ATI bulbs (2 aquablue special, 1 purple+, 1 blue+) and retro fit it to individual reflectors

Option B - get 250 HQI MH + T5 sysmtem from aquatraders ( Odyssea Metal Halide System )

The reason i want to upgrade would be to get better color in my current corals and gradually start getting into SPS. Any thoughts on which option is/might be better over another.

TRDfan said:
Im currently running on a aqua traders quad T5ho system on my tank that has Xenia, GSPs, mushrooms and zoos. Im looking to upgrade my lighting and im debaiting on these 2 options

Option A - 4 ATI bulbs (2 aquablue special, 1 purple+, 1 blue+) and retro fit it to individual reflectors

Option B - get 250 HQI MH + T5 sysmtem from aquatraders ( Odyssea Metal Halide System )

The reason i want to upgrade would be to get better color in my current corals and gradually start getting into SPS. Any thoughts on which option is/might be better over another.

What size tank is this? Im guessing a 30g?

TRDfan said:
40 breeder

Well if you wanna go SPS then the halide will give you far better growth and color. However if you decide that route i would plan on how your going to deal with the heat first. Also 1 halide will not cover the whole tank. So the corners will be darker.

could i keep some if any sps with a quad t5ho light system even if i upgraded the bulbs and added individual reflectors?? if not i was thinking of just getting another 2 t5ho bulb fixture and keeping 2 fixtures on top of my DT

TRDfan said:
could i keep some if any sps with a quad t5ho light system even if i upgraded the bulbs and added individual reflectors?? if not i was thinking of just getting another 2 t5ho bulb fixture and keeping 2 fixtures on top of my DT

Yes you could also probably do this however with just the 4 bulb your going to struggle, especially with most acros. 6 bulb would probably do the trick.

If i remember correctly, mh ended up being cheaper than the 6-8bulb t5ho units. This might be offset by what is needed to keep the tank cool...im not sure as i went w/ leds.

Yes you could also probably do this however with just the 4 bulb your going to struggle, especially with most acros. 6 bulb would probably do the trick.

Thanks. This is what i was thinking of too. Maybe ill just get the nova extream 6 bulb unit which already has the individual reflectors already build in.

If i remember correctly, mh ended up being cheaper than the 6-8bulb t5ho units. This might be offset by what is needed to keep the tank cool...im not sure as i went w/ leds.

which led system did you go with and why did u chose it?

I run 2 Ecotech Radions above my 55. They are the best, and I paid alot for it. There are other LED options out there that are much more cost effective, like the taotronics LEDs that you can buy off ebay.

I have the 12 bulb nova extreme pro over my 125g and you can hear the fans. :-( I don't think they are that loud but I am a pretty passive person so it blends into the background for me. lol

I also have a taotronics led fixture. That too has fans that you can hear. Actually louder than the nova fixture, at least to me. lol

Back
Top Bottom