ati lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hippo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to upgrade lighting. Does ati T5 3 x24watts power lux retrofit sufficient for reef aquarium (i.e. clam, LPS, SPS, etc.) Tank size: 2ft ( approx. 20gallon)

No...that will allow you to keep some of the less demanding corals and inverts, but not clams or SPS. 6 or even 8 of these bulbs would put you a lot closer to where you need to be. I have a 20 with 3x65w PC on it and I only keep soft corals in there. A 175 MH would do a good job I think.

Getting MH lighting will cause excess heat up on the aquarium. Hence, a chiller unit comes in. That incur more cost involved as well.

Are these t5 hos? if so...I'd say 3 X 24W over a 20g tank would more than likely be fine for all but the most light demanding corals and clams.

hippo said:
Getting MH lighting will cause excess heat up on the aquarium. Hence, a chiller unit comes in. That incur more cost involved as well.

Not if you have fans on the tank. You'd probably only need a chiller if the room temps were high. I'm not that familiar with the intensity of the T-5's. It was my understanding that they were more intense than PC's but not drastically so. I have a 20H with a pair of 65w PC's and, IMO, it could use more. I wouldn't attempt SPS in there unless I could locate it right at the top. JMHO.

Back
Top Bottom