Attaching frags - softies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am in the process of getting some frags this week from a member off of the board and he uses superglue (Locktight brand). I cant seem to find this in the local Lowes or Walmart here in my area. What does everyone else use to attach frags?
Thanks
D

Most of the gel type super glues will work. Softies don't glue well though. You can use some bridal veil to hold them to the rock until they attach on their own. You can also glue a plastic toothpick to the rock, stick the frag down over the toothpick, and bend the toothpick over. Super glue gets really hot as it sets. If you do glue them, get them back under water immediately.

I use bridal veil for softies, and have used super glue for attaching everything else. I let it cure under water.

just take the softie, stick it in a hole in the rock and shove a small rock in the hole with it to hold it in place that's how I've done all of mine and everything I've fragged has stuck to the rock real fast.

I guess I'm weird about putting something in aquarium water that I can't eat myself......................... it just worries me a little bit. I'm not saying it's wrong or anything, because it's obviously not, I just worry about stuff.

ok what is bridal veil? That sounds the best really. I do have some holdfast that a lot of LFS recommend. Thanks

I use super glue and it works the majority of the time. Stuff like xenia slimes real bad but they attach pretty quick on their own. I have used shells to stuff them into or wedge them in between 2 rocks.

Jason said:
I guess I'm weird about putting something in aquarium water that I can't eat myself......................... it just worries me a little bit. I'm not saying it's wrong or anything, because it's obviously not, I just worry about stuff.

Super Glues were originally formulated for gluing up wounds and incisions in the ER. Works great on hangnails as well.

fishman said:
ok what is bridal veil? That sounds the best really. I do have some holdfast that a lot of LFS recommend. Thanks

Bridal Veil can be purchased anywhere they sell fabric, it's what they use to make veils for weddings.

You can find it in the craft section at Wal Mart. If you have stores called "Hobby Lobby" in your area, they will also have it. Don't strap the coral down too tightly with it. I cut a narrow strip and glue one end to the rock with super glue. Then pull the veil over the frag just tightly enough to hold it on the rock and glue the other end down. Most frags will attach fairly quickly...within a week anyway. Toadstool leathers are a bit slow to attach though.

Back
Top Bottom