Auto Top Offs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigguy6121

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys. I have a 55 gallon salt water tank with I don't how many gallons Bio-Wheel sump. I have to add water to it like every 15 hours or sometimes sooner. Sometimes in the winter I go to work for 2 to 3 days at a time. I was planning on having my girlfriend top off the tank for me this winter but she left me. So I'm wondering if you guys have used any of the auto top off devices that I see for sale on the web? Also I bought my own place and I move in at the end of the month so now I have an option to go bigger. I have to take it down and set it up agin anyways. I really need a fresh start anyways got off to a real rocky start this time. Another question if I go bigger will I still run into this problem with the evaporating? I pretty sure my light will fit on a bigger tank and still be fine.

every 15 hours? sounds like there might be a leak or something, a lot of people on here i've seen DIY their ATOs.

sorry to hear about the girlfriend though. with a larger tank you may or may not but the evaporation happening that fast sounds like there may be another problem

I use the JBJ ATO with a 2 gallon reservoir. It is a great product. I have to refill the container about twice a week on my 45 gallon.

ATOs are definitely a great way to ensure a constant salinity in your tank, which can be vital for corals (and fish in extremes). It is simple to setup and you can have any size reservoir (I had a customer who had a 50 gallon tank with a 20 gallon reservoir for topoff).

I use an ATO from Bulkreefsuppy.com great product and I think the jbj has an buzzer everytime it fills. If you disconnect it that voids the warrenty.

The new JBJ ATOs do not have that completely irrational feature.

Great thanks guys. Looks like I'll be picking up one of those JBJ ATO's. How often do you guys find that you are adding water?

I was thinking about the larger tank because I think I could fit a bigger sump under there that would hold more water

Bigger is always better, if you can upgrade do it. Remember that it is important to do the biggest tank you can do properly, not just the biggest tank you can do.

Thanks. If I go bigger i'm gonna pick a size so I can still use my light. There so expensive I don't wanna buy a new one.

agreed. ^ i got the dual switch cccapt suggested in anoter thread and is a solid build. double redundancy never hurts or you can just use the singe switch that's alittle cheaper.

I have mine connected to an old salt bucket with ~4 gallons of water and does a wonderful job. Pump dosnt have to be significantly big either. as long as its got the umpf to go up 2feet for the size of bucket than it'll work

You can DIY with a 5 gal bucket that sits a bit higher than your top off point just put a float valve on there and the gravity will feed the water in when the float valve opens up.

You can DIY with a 5 gal bucket that sits a bit higher than your top off point just put a float valve on there and the gravity will feed the water in when the float valve opens up.

I tried something similar to this using the float valve from a toilet (new btw) and it didn't work. The gravity feed doens't have enough pressure to work with the valve. I haven't been able to find a float valve that isn't metal.

The new JBJ ATOs do not have that completely irrational feature.

They are actually built with it still, but ship with it turned off. In the instruction manual, it tells you how to take the back off and flip the switch if you desire for it to make an audible alarm with it tops up.

I have a 5 gallon reserve jug (the plastic ones readily available) on my 150 gallon reef. I have to make RODI water in the 5 gallon twice a week (Wednesdays & Sundays). The system works great.

Had to buy a really small pump that would fit in the hole of the 5 gallon jug. Azoo makes a pump perfect for this application.

Back
Top Bottom