Automatic feeders- anyone use one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmor1701d

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm thinking about getting an automatic feeder to feed flake food during the day when Im not home. Perhaps 1 or 2 small feedings after lights on and before I get home. This would be the only source of feedings when I'm away for a weekend or a vacation.

I'm looking at the Eheim 3581 but that appears to have a single container (no variety) and the Fish Mate which has 14 compartments.

Has anyone used one?
What's the good the bad and the ugly?
I've read about making sure it's attached properly so it doesn't fall in.
What else should I be aware of?

Thanks

I use one made by Nutafin. Single container but I just mix a whole bunch of foods together in it. It drops food every 12 hours and screws onto the side of the tank. It is very simple with a variable gate to adjust for the amount of food you want to drop out of it. I like it anyway.

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking for an adjustable feeding schedule, a few hours apart during the day.
Do you experience any clogging problems from the humidty?

I use one that you can program feeding times into.
It only has one drum though. I only use it if I'm
going to be away for a couple of days. If I'm going
on an extended vacation, I get a friend to feed the tank.

Mine has never clogged yet and I have run it 4 times and those trips lasted anywhere from 5 to 11 days. My tank runs in the low 70's though so I don't have supper evaporation.

I used one in a tank I had a few years ago. I can't remember the model, but it was about $40. If the flakes were small it overfed, if they were big it underfed. Now if I go away for less than a week I just don't feed them, if I go away for a week or more I get someone to take care of them.

One of the biggest problems I have seen in using the Auto Feeders, is, if you have an overflow system, the food gets sucked right up in it, and the fish get nothing. I choose to feed them well a few days before I go, and then just let them ride for a few days. If I go on vacation for more than 3 or 4 days, I will definately have someone feed the tank.. It is kind of smelly to pack the auto feeder with fresh seafood mash and let it sit for a few days :mrgreen:

Thanks everyone. I've been letting them just go hungry for a few days (less than a week), and now I'm leaning toward getting a trustworthy soul for the longer trips.

I was always curious about how you use an auto feeder with powerheads? After I feed, the excess food is swept into the current and they can't catch it... On short trips (up to 3 days) I let them fend for themselves...on longer trips...I have some feed them... be careful though...I write out clear instructions and tape them to the tank so there's no confusion and I measure out feedings...

I bought a little floating feeder ring. I think hagen makes it. A suction cup attaches to the side of the tank to hold a floating plastic ring on the water surface in one place. I always use this to feed so that the food doesn't get swept away and when I leave on trips I place the autofeeder to drop food right into the ring. This is also the unplanted area of my tank so I can watcht he fish eat and so that most of the food falls here and is easier to clean.

yeah I've seen those, pretty neat. They disrupt the surface currents
and prevent the food from being "skimmed" or swept away.

Back
Top Bottom