baby brittle stars? SEE PIC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey reefdude.

These are usually a separate species of brittles, and an *awesome* part of a cleanup/scavenging/detritus-eating crew. We have hundreds in our tank & fuge.

Some of ours are very small (total diameter about 1/4"), while others are up to 1" in diameter.

They will reproduce, and will usually not grow any larger than you are seeing them right now.

Let me see if I can dig up a couple pics.

Here is a shot of a small brittle that I caught hitching a ride on a leg of my Blue Linckia a few months back:

Here's a pic of one of the small brittles that I find a lot in our fuge:

tn_mini_brittle.jpg

Cruddy pic I know, sorry.

I can't find the other pics I was referring to - they must be burnt off on some CD *somewhere*. LOL Most of the *small* brittles we have a very small, white, and quite 'flimsy' - their legs almost have the appearance of spider-webs.

ohio reefer --

To be honest, ours just appeared out of *nowhere*. Nowhere being -- LR, LS, new corals, new macroalgae, or any combination thereof.

These aren't really "babies", per se - they are a distinct species that stays small.

HTH,

thanks!

now that you mention it. when you buy live sand, do reccomend live sand in a bag or from the lfs established aquarium? I've seen both. and how much do you guys reccomend? just enough to cover your dsb? I've got a 110gal.

sorry for changing the subject. :D

"LS" in a bag isn't truly "live" in the sense of containing living organisms necessary for a functional DSB. Bagged "live" sand simply contains a limited amount of bacteria.

I would strongly suggest getting some LS from the LFS or a local reefer. You can also purchase LS (as well as LS "activator kits" from many MO vendors).

The usual suggested ratio is 1 part LS to every 10 parts "dead"/base sand.

HTH,

I would reccomend live sand from an established tank as the bagged stuuf is only going to conatin bacteria and none of the critters that people find in their sand. At least none that ive ever seen and i give em a good look every time i am in petco LOL

you may be right reeflady they just appeared out of nowhere, dont know where they came from but o well its cool.

Teri - Would you be willing to setup a trade for your Brittle Stars? I've been looking for that exact type for me refugium.

ohio reefer said:
when you buy live sand, do reccomend live sand in a bag or from the lfs established aquarium?

The bagged live sand it pretty useless for an established aquarium and I even question the usefulness for a new one. Beg borrow or steal from an established reef or buy some that has been freshly harvested from the sea floor.

Guy

Teri - Would you be willing to setup a trade for your Brittle Stars? I've been looking for that exact type for me refugium.

Bang Guy - I've got to get my hands in my 'fuge and do some work to it this weekend. If I can find some (slippery critters, they are) - I'll separate them, and send you a PM.

If you ahve a choise then leave the bagged stuff on the shelf. If you have an oppertuinty to get sand from an established aquarium then thats going to be the 'good stuff' so to speak.

Anyone ever considered trading sand? I have an established tank, but it might contain different critters than another established tank...

Back
Top Bottom