baby starfish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loopy738

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
is it possible that my brittle star spawned itself? ive got 3 or 4 of these roaming around my tank

Attachments

• baby_sf_551.jpg
    baby_sf_551.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 91
No these are starfish that are common as hitchhikers on LR. The name of them i am not to sure about. I have a bunch in my tank aswell.

tiny brittle species. Very common as mentioned. I have hundreds in my tank. It is pretty cool to find new stuff, huh?

Actually, these look like Asterina starfish and normally are algae grazers. If you have sps corals in your tank, you'll want to keep an eye on them. There is a species of this star that will feed on sps corals.

Loopy738, funny that you posted this question and the pic. My wife just saw our first one about an hour ago. Looks just like the one in your pic. I'm sure he hitched hiked in on some liverock. You saved me the trouble of posting a pic - thanks.

Great! I was gonna ask the same question. Mine looks exactly like that. I thought it was some loose debri on the colony of (retracted and sleeping) green star polyps. I was staring at it then it started slivering on the coral. It has unequal appendage and has more than five.

Cool! If they help in the algae, I hope to have more.

Back
Top Bottom