Back and Ready for more.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zer0

is back to save the day!
Hey guys and gals. It has been a while since i was last here and i miss AA. :'(

Anyways, about two months ago, maybe three, i don't remember exactly when, i took down my 55G tank and both sold and donated a lot of my equipment. The reason being, that as soon as i started my 55G tank.. it turned in to a mess. One that was uncontainable and would have meant redoing the entire tank once again, for the third time. I just couldn't handle that. While still being awesome, the tank was certainly not what i wanted it to be and i knew i could have done better, so i took it down and decided to wait until i once again had the resources to bring another reef tank back to life! :D And besides the fact that i'm back to help others and i missed all of you, i'm also back for the great advice, help, and suggestions that comes along with being a member here at AA.

So what i'm thinking, is getting a size tank that i don't need a skimmer for, and PWC's will take care of that. The tank is going to be a reef, and will be filled with LR, so filtration is under control. I am considering doing something like.. a 10G or a 20G, MAYBE a 40G. Not sure on the 40G though because then i will most likely need another expensive T5 fixture and i'm really not looking forward to that. On the upside of a 40G.. it has the dimensions i've always wanted lol.

Anyways, now that we're on the light topic, if i go with a 10 or 20G tank, do you guys think that PC lighting would be sufficient enough to have a wide variety of coral? I'm leaning more towards the zoos,polyps,mushrooms, and some other nice looking ones as well. I don;t have plans fr any nems.. so the light doesn't have to be extremely strong. I'm also looking at the green birdsnest like i had last time, since that coral was magnificent. So that's that for lighting.

To get back on filtration, i really don't want many fish since i want my tank to be comprised of inverts and coral. I plan to have one, MAYBE two fish. Depending on the fish.

Now that we can get on to the fish, i need some serious suggestions. I want a very "chill" fish. I used to have the purple firefish, and the ocellaris, and those fish are just.. so hyped up and twitchy. Too much for my liking anyways. I don't want a fish that just lies dead on the sandbed.. but i do want a fish that just floats around and chills and doesn't go berserk all the time. So my thoughts on this matter were maybe some Gobies. I've seen gobies to be some pretty chill fish, that lay on the sandbed, but also perch on rocks, coral, etc.. And with gobies, they can survive in smaller tanks(considering 10-40G tanks). Also, the White Blennies look really awesome too.. and they are kept in nano sized tanks.. but i have no experience with them so if anyone does, please feel free to chime in. :)

So yeah.. if i've missed anything please also feel free to chime in. I want as many possibilities and as many suggestions as physically possible. :) Also, don't say nano's are hard to take care of because i know most of the downsides already and they really won't affect me. I have everything planned out to ensure that my tank life stays stable and contained and most of all.. BEAUTIFUL! :D Which was the downfall of my last tank.. it was ugly.. -__-

-Zer0

I know I've already said this, lol, but welcome bac to the forum. :multi::wave::multi: Clown gobies are pretty cool, as are fire fish lol. I would go with a 20g cuz its a little harder to find lighting for a 10g, just a suggestion.

yeah, welcome back.

I have not found T5 to be more expensive than PC, especially when changing bulbs on a PC.

There is a 48" for sale in the classifieds. $100. want to buy that and trade me for my 2 24" t5s?

I have a 36" PC fixture on my tank now and I'd rather have the t5

Lol, that's a possibility, but i'll have to see what i can buy first before i think about trades. However, why do you say T5 and PC lighting are around the same pricing? I've seen alot more T5 fixtures of the same length as PC and they are quite a bit pricier. Also, i've never replaced PC bulbs, and it looks like you have. Are the PC bulbs more expensive than the T5s?

A1, Yeah i was thinking about the 20G, but the thing is that i dont like the 20G longs because that is basically just a smaller version of a 55G lol.. which i don't want. I really want a more squarish looking tank, while still having some length to it. Sorta like a 40G lol, but once i hit the 40 mark i think i may need a skimmer. And i dont really want one.

I don't like the way 20G talls look. I've seen beautiful ones, but just not my type. Like i said, i still like the lengthy ones, they just need to have some width to them. Sortof like a 75G if you understand what i mean :p

Honestly though.. the 29G biocube is looking pretty awesome..

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=15085&c=542

But those biocubes are a tad pricey for something i could build for 150$ less lol.

I was just looking at a 30G breeder a second ago.. That one does look pretty decent as well. But im not entirely sure yet. See.. i already have a 10G tank.. and buying something like a 20G long would cost me like 25$ at petsmart.. so that's not really much of a setback. But trying to find these abnormal tank sizes that cheap pet stores don't sell.. could pose a problem lol. Idk.. i'll have to look and see what i can find. Maybe craigslist will come in hand this time.

Also, if i go with a small 10G tank then i don't think my choice of fish will be all that great in the gobies category lol. But with a 20G i may have more give..

Right now im looking at two fish, and most likely it's going to be one or both. The catalina goby or the yellow watchman goby. Not sure yet.

Nevermind both. Those two would be a bad choice in a 10G... but may be ok in a 30G or larger. But even then i still wouldn't try it lol. Alright so its gonna be the catalina or yellow watchman

Oh, didn't know you already had a tank lol. Clown gobies and watchman gobies, from what I've read anyway, can be kept in a 10g. There are probably some others too. Yeah Biocubes are a bit pricey.

Yeah. Scratch out the catalina. They are cold water gobies and will most likely die when kept in warm water reef environments for too long. I dont want none of that -__-

Now im getting some discrepancy between sources on the yellow watchman goby. Some say a min of 30G and a min of 10G. Can any experts here verify which is correct? I fear its the 30G lol.

So.. i found this for the lighting. And i think im going with a 10G and i'm going to be doing a drop-off design. :D

Here's the lighting: Current USA 24" Nova Extreme T-5 Fixture 2x24W 10K/460NM, (1124) - AquaCave

And here if more information on the drop-off concept for anyone who wants to take a look at it:
MEW - Rimless NPS Drop-off 10G - Nano-Reef.com Forums

However, will this lighting be enough for zoos, mushrooms, birdsnest, and a few other softies? I would think so since the tank isn't very tall.. 12".. but then again im really not an expert in the light department by any means. So i need some expert opinions. Thanks.

Also, it's cheap.. but we're talking about a 10G tank here lol.. Think this heater will be sufficient for heating a 10G reef tank?
Hydor Mini Aquarium Heaters - Heating - Fish - PetSmart

Too much light would be lost with that extra 4" overhang. I would just go with a 24g or a 29g kit. T5 is cheaper in the long run with power consumption, but they are pretty even when you need new bulbs if you order online. When you buy the fixture, PC is cheaper, T5 is only cheaper if you get a hunk of crap such as an Odyssea. Just don't order the same bulbs as the stocks that are in it as stock bulbs tend to lack. Yellow watchmans are fine in a 10g as they aren't very active.

Zer0, Welcome back and good luck on your next venture.

how about cardinals. they just sort of hang out in the water column. I watched one for about 5 min at the LFS and I don't think it ever moved.

Thanks for the info thom, and thanks for the welcoming TC. :D

And yeah, the PJ cardinals don;t really move around much.. but not my type of fish. The yellow watchman is my main pick right about now.

Thanks for the links A1! I was looking at some of those recently, but ig uess i missed the wheelers watchman goby. I like the look of that one alot! I may end up getting that one.. actually lol.

It's going to be a battle between a yellow watchman goby, wheelers watchman goby, or either the green, black, or citron goby.

Gonna be a tough call tho lol.

Back
Top Bottom