Back in the tank game....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like the look of an island but IMO it depends on your stock list. Tangs and wrasse need rock and caves to hide in, the more the better. I have around 150 pounds in my 135 Dt and another 40-50 pounds in my Fuge/rock rubble pile. If you can't or don't want to put it in the display you could make up for it in rock rubble or in the sump.

I am not going to have room in my sump to hold that much rock.... As soon as I get my skimmer in there there will only be like 8 inches of room..... not enough for a lot of rock.... Also I was going to run an open sump like the reef octopus sumps so that will eliminate rock in there so it won't end up in the pump....

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Maybe I can plumb in a refugium off the side to hold it all.... but then it would be outside the stand....

Yeah idk your space and everything but I would try to get at least 1 - 1.5 pounds per gallon total water volume. It's very good for beneficial bacteria as that is what it mostly grows on.

Yeah I know your right..... I just don't really want a wall in the tank..... lol want fish to have plenty of swimming room....

Maybe look into a very deep sand bed to make up with space for bb. I know courser sand will hold more surface area to help. I'm just going off of what I know works. I have several friends who have 2.5-3 times rock poundage to total water volume and their tanks thrive with very heavy bioloads. Are you planning to put any dividers or bubble traps in your sump?

I think you can get the two islands and use 75 pounds. I suggest leaving lots of room in front for corals to go on the sand bed. It's up to you about placing rock up against the back of the tank and I'd say if you do, add a power head for flow.

Jmkb02- I wasn't going to add baffles to the sump I was just going to run filter socks and that was it.... but now thinking I might on the pump end for micro bubbles.
PrettyFishies- that I think might just work as long as I get rocks that have a good shape to stack right..... Also I was looking into adding 2 mp10s to the tank for flow.... I am also thinking I don't want them to be stacked to high in the tank as I would like swimming room on the top 1/2 of the tank as well.... not sure how I can make this work..... but it will be fun to figure out....

Yeah I would def add at least a bubble trap on the end to catch them micros. Also in the future it's easier for an ATO

There's pics on the last page back. With a 20L you could easily split it up a bit and put at least a small chamber and a bubble trap for your pump.

Ok i will look into that one.... thanks for the info....

Ok so i just ordered 50 lbs of BRS dry bulk rock and 60 lbs of Fiji pink sand hope to have it soon..... I am also hoping to order my skimmer on Friday

Well test filling my tank didn't happen this week.... I hope to do it soon as my rock and sand will be here Wednesday the 19th....

Yay..... skimmer on order should be here on Thursday..... This tank is coming together.... starting to get really excited

Ok.... well I got the tank test filled and running..... had a small leak at the biopellets but that was just because I didn't have the line pushed in all the way..... have another small leak in the pvc return but got that sealed up with pvc glue.... have the running for a few days to see if I spring any new leaks.....

Attachments

• 1392501307533.jpg
    1392501307533.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 115
Nice thread! Keep it coming. :) I love the clean look you have under the tank, mine is always a helter skelter mess...lol

Thanks guys..... yes leaks suck really bad.... but the ones I had wernt to bad

Back
Top Bottom