Back to a 29 reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well last night AFTER my dad ordered $450 worth of fish supplies he decided the new tank (75gall) would cost to much (my estimated tottal was about $1000). So he said no way (their was a bunch of misunderstanding... I told him it would cost this much 6 months ago when we started thinking about it... I asked him what he expected to pay OUTSIDE of the tank and he said around $500. So I got all the supplie$s for $600 somthing ( I told him I would pay him some to) but he said he thought I meant $500 for EVERYTHING...) so needles to say the 75 is not happening (we cancelled the order to ) my mom was mad at him as well LOL, so we decided, to get a stand for the 29 and he told me he would get me some stuff for the current tank, so I am going to make it a reef.
so, my question is... will 101 watts over the 29 be good? I have the 65 watt PC and I want to get this 2x18 T5 fixture http://www.aloha-aquariums.com/servl...ualight/Detail (from ebay)
will that be good for most corals other than SPS's?
I am also getting some more powerheads ect, oh and a refractometer
thanks for the help

If it was my tank, I would get a 150 watt MH. Current has a hanging fixture that has a 150 MH with 2-32 watt Actinics.

I have 130 watts pc over my 20 gallon and I can keep most corals. 101 watts will be fine you'll just have to think about placement, but you'll end up wanting more light.

Too bad most pc and T-5 lighting fixtures go from 24'' to 36'', no 30'' ones...

Well I thought you said your dad was going to help you out.

There's that Viper 150 watt MH. It's $200. I'm sure you could find something on eBay for cheaper.

It `ll be enough for most soft and LPS corals. Just make the most with what you can get as far as the tank and equipment.

Don't worry Blazey...if you focus on a reef, you can have a killer 29gal tank. Bigger tanks do cost more money to set up and maintain. A 29 should still giveyou plenty of great options for corals and inverts. I suggest you get your Dad involved with the stocking and place the tank in an area of the house where everyone can enjoy it. Hopefully, the SW bug will catch him as well and in a year or so you amy be able to up grade.

lando said:
Don't worry Blazey...if you focus on a reef, you can have a killer 29gal tank. Bigger tanks do cost more money to set up and maintain. A 29 should still giveyou plenty of great options for corals and inverts. I suggest you get your Dad involved with the stocking and place the tank in an area of the house where everyone can enjoy it. Hopefully, the SW bug will catch him as well and in a year or so you amy be able to up grade.
well I have had the tank for a year (have had tanks since I was little) and he just does not like pets...period :(
but my mom has gotten into it, so she will help me :D
thanks for the encouragment, I plan on an awesome reef :p

In spite of all the "It'll burn your house down" talk, I purchased this fixture. There is a very long thread out there where a guy takes one apart and explains his thoughts about the fixture. By the end of the thread, people are gushing about it. I'll see if I can find the thread, or maybe Neilan can remember where he found it. He showed it to me in the first place. IMO you can not beat the price on this one.

I'm starting a 29 gallon reef tank as well. This fixture is only 24" long so the mounting legs that come with it will not work. They sell a hanging kit that I have ordered and will be happy to give info about it when it gets here.

HTH

Wow the price on that is great, but my concern would be it having too much light. You will have to be very careful acclimating your corals to the intensity.

well I have already ordered that stuff, plus that would be too much light for me right now. I agree amazing price but being only 15 I am limited... :(
thanks though :)

In spite of all the "It'll burn your house down" talk, I purchased this fixture.
I have the Odyssea 175x2 MH/96x2CF fixture and it has worked flawlessly now for two years. It may be worth looking in to in the futur if you are wanting more light.
Sorry to be off-topic...

Back
Top Bottom