back up power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sean57

Aquarium Advice Regular
Any ideas on back up power or should I just buy a generator? This last snow storm made me think as I have never had to worry about power outages I have back up heat source but not enough to keep tank warm enough......

I have been thinking about a generator also. I can't really think of an alternative, but if anyone has any ideas I am listening too.

a generator is the best solution, because you can also run your fridge and space heaters/ac units on it.
we had a thread about this not too long ago...i can't seem to find it now, but there were a few options brought up.

David S said:
Yeah we've had a thread like this,I started it about UPS power supplies.Get a genny

I just read your thread, thanks. I believe you are right. I will be looking for a generator asap. Where I live there is a power outage almost every year.

Well, I'm going to buy a genny. I think it will be a Honda 3000is. But... I also think I'll buy a small inverter, a marine/deep cycle battery and use a cube relay to keep it off as long as there is 120v but in the event it's lost then the relay would alow the inverter to kick on. Just to run heater and one powerhead. This would save you if the power went out after you left for work I figure you could run 5-8 hrs on 185 amp reserve marine battery I you had 150-200 watt. Heater and 26 watt power head or sump..

I'd love to have a generator. For now I only have battery backups for my powerhead. The depletion of oxygen in the water is typically the first concern with an outtage.

Does that come on when power goes out is it always on and stay on if power goes out. Do they make anything that would just kick on if power went out

no. it doesn't come on when the power goes out. it's really made for a fresh water setup. what it does is run, and when the power goes out, it keeps running.
battery back ups can run continuously when the power goes out, but most are very expensive and don't run for very long.

Back
Top Bottom