bad algea blues. (pic)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RocketSeason

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been singing this same sad tune for months.

what is it, and how do I get rid of it for good???

Attachments

• bad_algea_blues.jpg
    bad_algea_blues.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 149
Is that growing right on the sand? Can you remove that patch manually? I'm going to watch this thread to learn a bit. I don't have the problem right now, but I can imagine that it may be lurking out there in my future.

Good luck!

oh its a pain in the rear-end. Its mostly on the sand, but there is a good patch of it on the rocks.

I could probibly remove it manually, but I am afraid it will just spread it. I just added chemi-clean a few days ago, but it doesn't seem to affect that stuff.

I think I'd use a big gravel vac suction of the sand chunks. I'm no expert, but yur list has canister filter .. are you using bio media in there? ARe you using RO/DI water?

Most of the solutions I read involve:

1)adding macroalgae to fuge to compete for nutrients
2) remove bio media to reduce nitrates
3) use of RO/DI and/or phophate removal agents
4)cutting back feeding
5)cutting back photoperiod

I'm using ro/di water, there is no media in the canister. I have cut back on feeding and cut down on the "lights on" time.

none of it has had an effect. :roll:

RocketSeason said:
I'm using ro/di water
What is the TDS of your RO/DI and what's the water specs/chemistry?

Is the algae actually brown or is that just the way the pic turned out?

Cheers
Steve

RocketSeason said:
I'm using ro/di water, there is no media in the canister. I have cut back on feeding and cut down on the "lights on" time.

none of it has had an effect. :roll:

Hmmm... well, that's it for me, then, expet for the use of macroalgae in the sump to outcompete the algae for whatever it is they are using as a nutrient source. I'm expecting some chaeto for my sump to try to head off this phenomenon.

Again, good luck. I'll be eavesdopping to read the responses. Lots of folks on this board a LOT more qualified than I to respond to your situation.

the algea is brown. same color as in the pic. and its all over. the tank on the bottom, the sides, the powerheads, etc. It is spread out thinly over the tank but it clumbs together in the sand. as shown. I do not know the tds of the water. (I have no way to measure it.)

parameters are all normal. I do not know what my PO4 count is.

also, it seems that this stuff has caused my coraline algea to take a hit. (but it could just be my imagination.)

might as well check alk reading, cuz if the alk is too low..doesn't matter if there is phosphate or nitrate, algea is still gonna take over your tank just like mine.
Oh also...increase water flow might help.

It looks like cyno to me... when mine has been there a while and the powerhead is blowing on it, it gets really stringy like that. Had any fish die recently?

RocketSeason said:
the algea is brown. same color as in the pic. and its all over. the tank on the bottom, the sides, the powerheads, etc. It is spread out thinly over the tank but it clumbs together in the sand. as shown.
Interesting, I don't think I have never seen a filamented brown algae before.

I do not know the tds of the water. (I have no way to measure it.)
You need to get a TDS meter or borrow one. It's pretty much the only way of knowing if the water is what it says it is when buying from the LFS or from your own RO/DI.

parameters are all normal. I do not know what my PO4 count is.)
PO4 contributes very little in regard to the growth of brown algaes. Silicates, basic nutrient and some types of metals (iron mainly) are your main contributors as could be the alkalinity noted previously.

Manual removal is about all you can do with this stuff in the short term. The main concern is narrowing down the cause.

Cheers
Steve

Wow... the only thing that I can think of is either hair algae or cyno that has been moved a lot. I have spent about 30 minutes trying to find info on something similar and have come across nothing! I hope that Steve-s can think of something!

I have a ton of snails.

I measured the longest strand to be almost 4 inches long. I am going to manually remove it all tonight. hopefully it will not come back after that.

steve-s said:
Manual removal is about all you can do with this stuff in the short term. The main concern is narrowing down the cause.
:p

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom