Bad Green Algae in new reef setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
C

cj10488

I have had my 55gal running for about a month and a half.. On the glass there is a Bunch of green algae all over... I cant seem to figure out why..

Test Results today using Salifert and Seachem tests

pH 8.0
alk 4.0
Nitrite 0
nitrate 1
ammonia Free 0
Ca 480
po4 .03
Salinity 1.024
Temp 81

Please help.. I can post pictures later this evening if you would like

TIA,
James

Please post pics, some algae is just a part of having a reeftank, I'd like to see the extent of the algae to see whether it is a problem amount or just your everyday run of the mill growth.

Looks like you got a nice crop going, but nothing really out of the ordinary for a tank with new LR in it. I would recommend manually removing as much as possible and doing water changes with RO/DI water. Skimming and a good clean up crew, it will take a bit, but the algae will suside when the nutrients provided by the new rock are used up by the algae.

my ro/di filter comes in tomorrow.. I have been using tap water up until tomorrow.. Do the readings from my tank seem to be good?? should I be testing anythin else.. I am not dosing anything. I know the pH is low been tring to get that back up.. Any suggestions???

TIA,
James

Your CA is a little high for the ALK, it should come down with the water changes.

The nitrate seems low, but that is simply because the algae is eating it all up. The only thing I see your not testing for that you might consider is PO4.

I am testing for PO4 the readings were .03

I also heard that nitrate needs to be under 10 if I want any sort of inverts in the tank.. Is this correct?

James

I also heard that nitrate needs to be under 10 if I want any sort of inverts in the tank.. Is this correct?

Not IMO. If you can maintain the algae I think corals can easily handle nitrate up to about 40 ppm. Your goal, is 0 though ;)

Back
Top Bottom