Bad LFS advice abounds...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phyl

Aquarium Advice Addict
D'ja ever feel like you really needed to save another customer at a LFS? Ugh! I was in my LFS last night and there was this guy & his teen in there. They'd obviously bought a tank at this store and spent a sizeable amount of money on fish that are all dying/dead. The guy they were talking to had never heard of Aptasia (well he hadn't when I first asked him about them in November). I hovered a couple of times hoping to get a chance to yell "get ye to the internet" but any time I hovered I got a goofy look from the sales person (who never seems to know what he's talking about i.e. "Chromis are really agressive fish. I'd never put one of those in a tank; here, this yellow tang makes a good starter fish").

They were looking at new fish and some of the fish they were looking at were Anthias. Speaking of which, they had a tank full of lyretails. There were 2 males and 2 females. The third female had jumped out of that tank into the neighboring tank. The females were documented on the tank as "Anthias:Orange-Male"?! The males were documented as "Anthias:Lyretail-Male".

I felt really bad for those people. I just know that they left there with more bad advice. I would have looked like a stalker to wait in the parking lot for them, lol!

My local guy is not that bad, he will tell people what to get and what not to get most of the time and definitly if you ask, but most people dont seem to care :cry: Ive seen people with a brand new tank they had set up for a week or two buy all kinds of fish and coral, and dont seem to care (you can usually tell because they buy things that are incompatable). Sometimes I feel like telling them to get a PET ROCK :(

I refuse to sell people stuff all the time. But what sucks is they wind up going to Petco, the nasty pet store a few miles away and buy what I refused to sell them. I always hear about it sooner or later.. They come in cussing up a storm trying to figure out why what they bought died.

I give the best advice I can, and If I am unsure, I go to the books on our shelf to get an answer.

The first time I go to a fish shop, the first thing I ask is can I put a tang in my 10g nano....If he shoots me a WTF look then I'm in a good place, but you'd be surprised at how many will show you the tangs with a big smile on thier face.

juskeepswiming said:
Kinda like muffler bearings :? I use it some times to see if someone really knows anything about cars :D

Man muffler bearings are expensive. I took my car in for an oil change and the guy replaced mine for 50 bucks....Great deal...

LMAO....joking

Whats the big joke about Muffler Bearings? My mechanic said mine are going out and should be replaed. Should I get them replaced or not?

I don't know, I bet they are hard to find. Hell I'm still waiting for home depot to call me when my lumber stretcher comes in...I can't finish my stand until I can stretch the last leg..... :lol:

They just called me yesterday about my lumber stretcher. Said it should be in the first of next month.

I guess I'll have to go pull a couple of bucks off my money tree and hit up suckers.com....Good thing I planted that money tree cause this hobby is so expensive.... :D

somehow in this thread, it went from bad pet stores to irresponsible buyers to muffler bearings to lumber stretchers to suckers.com to money trees...that what I call six degrees of separation :D

You shouldve followed them to the parking lot. If I was them I would be freaked out at first, but once you explained it I would be GRATEFUL! Start out by saying "I know the reason your fish are dying" and you would have their attention, then encorage them to not go there again (Or to ask elsewhere before they buy)

Well my pappy planted mine when I was 1 so I'm gonna say in about 25 more years but you have to be careful not to let Money tree locust (women) eat up all the fruits....lol :mrgreen:

You shouldve followed them to the parking lot. If I was them I would be freaked out at first, but once you explained it I would be GRATEFUL! Start out by saying "I know the reason your fish are dying" and you would have their attention, then encorage them to not go there again (Or to ask elsewhere before they buy)

*#*shakes head*#* back to fish...yes indeed, that should be the thing to do, but to the first time buyers, your arrogant and just simply rubbing their nose in it

Yeah lawyers are pretty bad I remember this one time my lawyer took me snipe hunting, you know kind of a bonding exercise....I was so dissapointed to see no snipes but only rocks in my bag. :cry:

Back
Top Bottom