Bamboo Shark Egg Case - to cut or not to cut

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

have2fish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,

First post here....

I have an 80 tall with live rock. I got a Bamboo Shark Egg Case a few weeks ago. It appears to be pretty much fully grown with very little of the egg remaining attached to the shark, that I can see.

How does the shark break out of the case? Should I cut it out?

I cant wait!!!!

Thanks

Have2fish
have2fish@yahoo.com

BTW, how long are you planning on keeping him in an 80 gallon? I've never kept sharks myself since I can't afford the huge aquariums the adults require.

I've got a 125 that I will prob transfer him to as he grows......after that.... time for a bigger tank!! 8) whooo hoooo

have2fish

I'm glad you're planning ahead.

Oh, and I was neglectful before. Welcome to Aquarium Advice!

I'm not sure how old the egg was when you got it, but it says here that the egg can take three months to hatch, and the young will be 5 inches at birth.

A 125 definatly wont be big enough for that shark. Especially with LR in it. The best set up is just a big tank with nothing in it but sand. On the other hand they dont grow as fast as people think. I bought a 3 week old Whitespotted bamboo shark almost 8 months ago now and he has only grown about 4 inches since then. The trick is not over feeding. A great book for anyone who is looking into sharks is "Aquarium Sharks and Rays". It is written by a marine biologist who has done extensive research on most species small enough to be kept in tanks. It gives a full description of each shark and everything you could possible need to know about keeping them. (feeding, minimum tank size, water parameter, ect.)

Back
Top Bottom