Banded shrimp VS big fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alco1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all,

I've got a 10ft long tank with about 6-8 tangs or so and an angel and a few gobies and about 4 hermit crabs I think....

I want to invest in a banded shrimp..... but afraid it'll get destroyed in a matter of seconds.

Would this shrimp be compatible or am I expecting a feed frenzy when I put it in?

I had one in my tank for several years but he did hide a lot. I recommend introducing it after lights out so it can find a hiding spot during the morning twilight. My tang are fine with my shrimps. Good luck!

awesome thanks.... so im not expecting the fish to go nuts on it lol. although did you have hermit crabs in the tank? do you think they might eat the banded shrimp?

ok awesome... seems all the fish I have wont cause any problems.....

but I was thinking though... I have a few firefish, a mandorin, and about to introduce a few clowns.

would the banded shrimp try to eat any of these small fish??? ive read around that banded shrimp seem to make small fish disappear.

The Coral Banded Shrimp won't bother any live fish. They will as part of your CUC will remove any fish that has met its demise. Of course your results may vary! Good luck!

really silly question.... but would the shrimp clean the fish at all??? or is it just a pretty CUC that just sits around and I feed it frozen food?

yea I was considering the skunk cleaner but I really love the look of a coral banded. behaviour-wise.... what makes the skunk a better choice than the CBS?

Coral Banded shrimp can be pretty aggressive. I had one kill my cleaner shrimp one by one and even a few sally lightfoot crabs, right before my eyes.

I have a coral banded shrimp and recently added a Nigerian Triggerfish to my 75 gallon aquarium. The Trigger has been in the tank for about 4 weeks now and I haven't witnessed him even paying attention to my shrimp. He has tried to "pick on" my hermit crabs though. (I haven't seen my horse shoe crabs since the were acclimated, maybe him, maybe not?)

I still consider myself a newbie when it comes to saltwater tanks even though I have had my 75 gallon set up for about 2 years (and proud to say I haven't lost a single fish!, but I am an Anemone slayer.:()

hmmm... sounds like some banded shrimps are pure evil and others are good.... depending on personality I guess. do you guys think tank size has something to do with the aggressiveness? or is it just pure personality?

My tank was 300 gallons. I don't think tank size has much to do with it. Things with giant claws are to be purchased with caution. They aren't there for looks.

lol true true.... so maybe a banded shrimp isn't the way to go unless I want to risk thing disappearing.

Thanks heaps guys

are skunks generally aggressive/territorial to any other fish/crabs.... and would I have to worry about hermit crabs eating them or the other way round?

The skunk will be out more, will clean the fish which is fun to watch, and will not be aggressive to small fish/inverts.

That being said, either would be fine in your tank.

I've had a banded coral shrimp in my 75g for a year and a half now with no issues ! My cleaner shrimp did disappear but I can't say if it was the coral shrimp or not as they lived together for over a year ! Nothing else in my tank has been affected by him ! Hermits stars snails etc all seem fine !

Back
Top Bottom