Bar Goby Acclimation / Odd Behavior?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sevise

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought my first non-chromis fish yesterday. I picked up a very pretty bar goby / zebra goby. Hes 4" long, nearly the same color green as the chromis but has very nice orange and blue bars. At the LFS I could only catch glimpses of his head as he peaked out from the rocks. The salesmen had to remove the rock in order for me to get a good look at him. From my reading this guy stay near the buttom and burrows in the rock and sand.

Since arriving in my tank hes just swam around about 2/3s up in the water column . I haven't seen him swim through the rockwork at all. He is eating, he ate 2 pea sized chunks of shrimp yesterday. He did take a little this morning but not the whole chunk, I think hes still digesting yesterdays meal as he let go an inch long **** a few minutes later.

Back on topic, should I be concerned he just swimming around or will it just take him time to discover the rockwork and return to his "normal" behavior?

He's just probably a little nervous and checking out his surroundings. Give him a few days to settle in. As long as he looks good and is eating well, should be fine.

You'll actually find with this species they are not overly curious about their surroundings and will not stray far from where they call home. They are quick to bury themselves under rock and will typically just "hover" in little groups near their chosen hiding place. Don't be suprised if it never does much more than that. This is a quite a timid fish and does do better with more than one.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom