base rock ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firemouthkeeper

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was wondering if the base rock for sale (sometimes up to $5/lb) is the same stuff I see being dug up all up and down Florida. Are there any reasons not to use the free stuff? Some of what I have seen out in the glades looks better than what's for sale. This will be my first jump into salt water, and it would stink if I got this rock and ruined everything just to save a couple of bucks.

Make sure its nice and clean before pputting it in ..what I would do is dry it out hose it off really good let it dry out agian then put it in oven at three hundred fifty degrees and bake the heck out if it...its going to riddled with bacteria not suitable for ur sw tank. I dont know if u know the difference in ocean base rock but everything ive seen in glades is more of a hard flake type rock and petrifed wood. Not very porus nor light weight.

Yeah the stuff I've found wasn't actually in the swamps but I've seen stuff dug up along 27 that was all white very porous, light, and had shell inprints in the chunks. They sell stuff at some of the landscape supply yards called rip rap that comes from the Miami quarries. Sounds like it may be worth the extra work, I drive al over the state so I'm sure I'll be able to find some really nice pieces and be able to aquascape my tank as I see fit, not have to rely on the grab bags the online suppliers send.

Yea rip rap is usally limestone and granite.. both are fine to place in tank... just get them clean.

The lime stone in the dads back yard looks good and the rip rap at the local yard looks like its all lime. I'll just pick up a truck full and start cleaning it. You think a chlorine bath over nite will get rid of the "unwanteds" then putting it in a big bucket one nite with a heavy dose of prime or amquel? That's what we do at the store for the tank decor, it makes the stuff nice and clean. Thanks for answering my noob questions I appreciate your time. :thanks:

firemouthkeeper said:
The lime stone in the dads back yard looks good and the rip rap at the local yard looks like its all lime. I'll just pick up a truck full and start cleaning it. You think a chlorine bath over nite will get rid of the "unwanteds" then putting it in a big bucket one nite with a heavy dose of prime or amquel? That's what we do at the store for the tank decor, it makes the stuff nice and clean. Thanks for answering my noob questions I appreciate your time. :thanks:

I wouldn't use chlorine at all. To clean it ..to many what if's ...the smallest amount can ne deadly. itmight look good at first but un a month time ju will be getting coraline on it anyway... baking in will remove all bacteria..
Just make sure u wash it off well

I would also if I we're u would cure it as u would with actuall live rock.. put it in a bin of some kinda and cycle it like u would a tank.

Back
Top Bottom