base rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crow123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i alrdy have 45 pounds of live rock in there and i just added 10 pounds of base rock, how long does it take for the base to become....live? and will adding base rock boost up my nitrate/nitrite or ne thing like that

It is always a good rule of thumb to cure base rock in a similar fashion as live rock. Even though this doesn't have life on it, it may contain some impurities that could increase your levels in your tank. Have you run a test on your water parameters yet? pH, Nitrite, Nitrate, and Ammonia. Is this a FOWLR tank?
Since you have 45lbs. of LR, it will seed the base rock nicely. How long it takes will depend on lighting, and water quality. I did the same thing with mine several months back. I have Coraline growing all over my base rock now. It took a few months to seed though since I didn't have that much LR.

Mike

Filtration-wise it should only take a couple days, for the looks department it will take quite a while.

Back
Top Bottom