base rock to lr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haus

Aquarium Advice Freak
In my tank I have 40 lbs of base rock and 15 lbs of lr (going to get more, hopefully today) The base rock is almost completely covered in green algae, and i can see bristle worms, pods, and some small aptaisia :censor: at night. It has been in the tank with the lr for three months now. Has the base rock become lr or is it just green base rock with a few critters that strayed too far? LFS guy said it was cheaper to buy reef skeleton for base rock (I cured it for two weeks) then add a lr to save money.

It has become live. It doesn't take to long before bacteria colonizes the base rock. That is how it becomes live. The critters moving onto it is a bonus.
Just one comment though, you state you see small aptasia at night. Aptasia in my experience, loves light and close up at night. I find it curious that yours is only open at night and am wondering if it is actually aptasia you are seeing. Instead, what you may be seeing is some other type of anemone, or possibly even a cup coral like astrangia or simular.

Actually I meant that the pods and bristleworms are out at night, and the aptaisia is out all the time.I believe that it is aptaisia because I originally had two that came with live rock (thought they were cool looking) Now I have over a dozen (now that I know what it is it makes me mad, they will die in the near future) But I will look up that other anemone that you mentioned and see if that is maybe what it is.

Back
Top Bottom