Basket star care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are so beautiful and I would really like to try one. :( just want more info first. I know they need plenty of phyto

Here is what I found:

"While feather stars usually react positively on the fine foods of Fauna Marin, Basket stars prefer much coarser foods. I had one for about a year and it just loved Mysis! Basket stars can easily be fed in the evening, just let some Mysis or Artemia drift into their arms, they will immediately curl up and stuff the food into their mouth, which is on the bottom of the star, facing towards the substrate. They do have an opening at the top, but this is the rear end. Several people tried to force feed them but just gave these poor critters an enema."

TLTGF said:
Here is what I found:

"While feather stars usually react positively on the fine foods of Fauna Marin, Basket stars prefer much coarser foods. I had one for about a year and it just loved Mysis! Basket stars can easily be fed in the evening, just let some Mysis or Artemia drift into their arms, they will immediately curl up and stuff the food into their mouth, which is on the bottom of the star, facing towards the substrate. They do have an opening at the top, but this is the rear end. Several people tried to force feed them but just gave these poor critters an enema."

Wow. I won't be giving it an enema. Thanks for the info! All I had found was that they eat ALOT of phyto. Which isn't really an issue in my tank as I like happy corals. Lol.

The issue I ran into online was feather stars kept popping up when they are two different creatures.

How do you handle the skimmer when feeding phyto? Everytime I feed, my skimmer goes crazy and overflows. If I shut the skimmer off, which I normally do, I have to wait almost 24 hours before it won't go crazy anymore.

I Have marked the magic spot on my skimmer and when I feed phyto I just open the valve some more. It usually only takes about an hour to go back to normal. That's why I only feed phyto once daily.

Back
Top Bottom