before shelling out the cash, i just have one last questoin (sorry)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zacheyp

Aquarium Advice Addict
i will be getting a 29g biocube with aprox 40 pounds of live and or base rock
i actually have 2 questions
1. how do i start and test a cycle
2. i am getting the heater that carey reccomended in a seperate thread, anyway my question is, there will be no wires in the water right?

If you get a 29 cube there will be wires in the water from the pump. Pretty sure for most heaters though the wire comes out the top, which shouldn't be submerged in most cases.

To start a cycle, I'd personally dose pure ammonia and add some live rock or just bottled bacteria from an LFS. when after dosing ammonia you get nitrates and all of your ammonia is converted (0 ppm) you are cycled. Use seachem or elos test kits to measure nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia.

are wires in the water safe, i am new to saltwater and i have no idea what your second paragraph meant.

The wires are designed for water.

You will need to test the cycle with tests for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. When you test you water and ammonia, and nitrite are at 0, with a low nitrate reading you cycle is over. You can add chemicals to speed up the cycle.

here's alink for cycling a sw tank using the shrimp method, you can alos add pure ammonia instead of the shrimp.

Cycle your salt tank

The heater I used to keep in my last compartment to the right. :)

You should get a power head as well for the other side of the tank, and those wires are water safe to a point so you can submerge the actual power head. That power head shold go on the right side glass or the right side back wall, your choice. :)

Whatever one you like. :) The "live" sand in a bag is just a gimmick in my opinion, but if you like the texture and color buy it. I used live sand only because I wanted the fiji pink stuff and it happened to be "live". if you go with live sand, dont rinse it but if you get the regular aragonite or anything else make sure you rinse it very very well. it will cut down on the cloudines you'll get. :)

LOl. I used the pillow case method one time, just put it in an old pillowcase and rinse in the tub or outside with a garden hose.
I also last time used a bucket, pout some sand in, added water and just kept dumping the water until the water runs clear.

takes some time but with your size tank it shouldnt be that bad. :)

I had to rinse 250!!! lbs of sand, took me hours to do it too LOL

just a guess, how long should cycling take, also, i should put the reef/live rock in before the cycle right?

when i start cycling i will have very frequent questions

And you will get answers. No worries.

good luck, if you need anything else we are all just a post away. :-D

i will be using the dead shrimp method
also, will the test kit show salinity
if i am planing fish and coral, what should salinity be

Back
Top Bottom