Beginners guide to coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do agree i will upgrade think ive caught the marine bug.
They all doing well at the moment cause they very small.
The four turbos are lazy they dont clean my glass i got to do it every week cause its going green all the time.
I'll have to make room in my house for a big tank on a stand somewhere.

I do agree i will upgrade think ive caught the marine bug.
They all doing well at the moment cause they very small.
The four turbos are lazy they dont clean my glass i got to do it every week cause its going green all the time.
I'll have to make room in my house for a big tank on a stand somewhere.

I thought you already had LED? T5's will not compare well with proper LEDs. Just the cost of good bulbs alone will drive their cost of operation beyond the cost of even fancy LEDs. T5 has to be pretty strong for hard coral growth. It can be done, but uses a lot of bulbs. Also, if your tank is 10 gallons as indicated, T5 will raise the water temperature significantly. JIMO.

I thought you already had LED? T5's will not compare well with proper LEDs. Just the cost of good bulbs alone will drive their cost of operation beyond the cost of even fancy LEDs. T5 has to be pretty strong for hard coral growth. It can be done, but uses a lot of bulbs. Also, if your tank is 10 gallons as indicated, T5 will raise the water temperature significantly. JIMO.

I'm pretty sure the T-5 suggestions were for the original poster Nicole (I know mine was at least) :)

+1 on this, i have a 4 bulb 24" and all of my lps and softies are going great

Nicole,

Don't know if your still shopping around for lights but I've had my eyes on these as an upgrade for my tank.

Odyssea T5 Aquarium Lighting

This gives me way more then enough light for almost any coral. But since your tank 50g I think it would only provide at max moderate lighting. Though I've read a person using a Duo & Quad side by side on a 55g reef.

GL! :)

Someone I work with has offered to sell me his 48" Hagen glo double T5 fixture with lifeglo bulbs for $50. Is that a good deal? Should I jump on it? What sort of corals could I keep with this? How much will this kill me on my power bill? How often do I need to replace the bulbs and what do they cost?
Aside from the lights, what is involved in keeping corals? Special parameters? Food?
How do I acclimate and feed coral?

Someone I work with has offered to sell me his 48" Hagen glo double T5 fixture with lifeglo bulbs for $50. Is that a good deal? Should I jump on it? What sort of corals could I keep with this? How much will this kill me on my power bill? How often do I need to replace the bulbs and what do they cost?
Aside from the lights, what is involved in keeping corals? Special parameters? Food?
How do I acclimate and feed coral?

With two T5 bulbs you can keep some low light softies. That's about it.

Back
Top Bottom