Berlin method

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rmckoy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This is just using a skimmer and a lot of live rock for filtration ?

I understand you want a protein skimmer rated for twice your tank size and also 1-2LBs of live rock per gallon

My tank is 75 gal
And my skimmer is rated for 125 gal .
As for live rock I have close to 150 lbs maybe a little more .
The skimmer is my only concern ,
It's a HOB coralife super skimmer .

My tank is 75 gal And my skimmer is rated for 125 gal . As for live rock I have close to 150 lbs maybe a little more . The skimmer is my only concern , It's a HOB coralife super skimmer .

Some like those skimmers till they get a better one. I have one sitting on the patio collecting dust. Piece of junk IMO.

Some like those skimmers till they get a better one. I have one sitting on the patio collecting dust. Piece of junk IMO.

I can't say that much about it .
It was a pain Just cause of the micro bubbles my tank was full of at the beginning but it's good now .
I'm sure there is better .
You get what you pay for .
Keeping cost and affordability in mind
What's a good skimmer ?

IMO. It's a good skimmer for what I paid for it it's cheap

They do work for the most part but there are skimmers that work better. More efficient at removing organics.

I love my skimmer but it isn't exactly budget friendly. I'm sure others have had experience with the better budget friendly skimmers and can recommend some.

They do work for the most part but there are skimmers that work better. More efficient at removing organics. I love my skimmer but it isn't exactly budget friendly. I'm sure others have had experience with the better budget friendly skimmers and can recommend some.

What is yours ?

It will work fine up to 120 gal. Maybe more. I don't feel these follow the same double skimmer size rules as others.

It will work fine up to 120 gal. Maybe more. I don't feel these follow the same double skimmer size rules as others.

So with my question to follow this thread what's your opinion ?

Live rock 1-2 lbs per gallon. Get the most porous/lightest rock you can get. Pukani/figi if possible. If you get denser rock you will need more of it. If you have a sump you can load it with additional rock.
Good skimmer. Some reef octos are budget friendly and have been recommended by others on here.
Water changes to remove excess nitrates and replenish elements.

Not necessarily Berlin method but I would add some kind of mechanical filtration like reef socks, floss, or filter pads(power filter maybe) to remove larger debris.

Back
Top Bottom