"Berlin Method" - Turning off skimmer at night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luntiz

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 50 gallon Acrylic tank and the top only has one large slot for HOB stuff. Aftering picking up a UV+Skimmer, I had to remove my HOB Powerfilter. I've read about how this can be done, LR + Skimmer w/o any other filters. The thing is the skimmer is LOUDDDDD!!! Is it okay for me to turn it off at night and then back on in the mornings? I have a lot of water movement without the HOB (5 Powerheads). I sleep practically near my tank and the skimmer will keep me up at night, I am sure of it.

It would be best to just turn off the air going into the skimmer if possible. This is because stagnent water can foul overnight and then when the skimmer is back o in the morning your introducing the foul water back to the tank.

Also it seems to take most skimmers a few days to start working properly after they've been switched off. Turning it off everynight wouldn't really give it a chance to ever stabilize.

If it has airline tubing for the intake then you can try replacing it with a longer piece of tubing, and maybe even add a valve at the end to reduce the air.

If not then, as FF said, just turn the air control down till it's quiet enough.

Back
Top Bottom