Berlin protein skimmer questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wvdeadhead

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Which out of the RedSea Berlin protein skimmers is the best for a 125 gal tank? A classic, a turbo, or a prism? I've done a lot of reading saying Berlin skimmers are some of the best out there. Can someone help me?

If I were gonna go with a berlin on a 125, I would get the turbo, but I would actually go with a different skimmer. Berlins are decent skimmers, but require alot of fine tuning everyday or every couple of days to get the best results. If it were me, I would go with an appropriately sized EuroReef skimmer, or an appropriately sized AquaC skimmer.

Does it require a lot of maintenence like some of the other Red Sea skimmers? Or is it pretty much maintence free... other than cleaning the collection cup?

The berlins don't require any more actual maintenance than any other skimmer, simply constant adjustment of the venturi to remain at peak efficiency. The EuroReefs and the AquaC's are a set and forget kind of skimmer. All skimmers require regular maintenance and cleaning for top preformance, clean the skimmer cup and neck of the skimmer as needed or a minimum of once per week, tear it down and clean all of it quarterly ;)

The EuroReefs and the AquaC's are a set and forget kind of skimmer.
I just ordered a AquaC EV180 for my 55gal from Darin at CaptiveReefs.com If you want first hand experience with them I would be more than happy to as soon as it gets here.. I have/had a aquaC Remora on the 55gal and It did an Awesome Job... I would stick by AquaC and their quality just for that simple fact.. I also heard the EuroReefs were great as well.. I went with AquaC as I have experience with the product they make.. IMO either Skimmer you get would be the Best.. Its pretty much a toss up on either brand..

James

I want a skimmer that does a great job, but at the same time, I don't want to have to babysit it everyday to make adjustments. I want something that I can just hook up, leave there and clean whenever neccessary. I'm starting to hear more about the AquaC, so I think I'm going to go with one of those. I've been reading about them a lot today, and they seem to be top notch. One last question... I'm going to be using a refugium with my tank instead of mechanical filtration. Would you suggest putting the skimmer before or after the fuge? Lots of people have told me that some protein is beneficial to the fuge critters. So it's kinda a toss up right now????

starting to hear more about the AquaC, so I think I'm going to go with one of those
I dont think you would regret going with AquaC at all.. Money well spent.. I would suggest the EV240 or at the very Least the EV180..

I've been reading about them a lot today, and they seem to be top notch
IMO yes they are
Would you suggest putting the skimmer before or after the fuge
usually want the skimmer prior to any other filtration method so IMO you want it before the fuge..
Most people run their tanks as follows Tank-Overflow-sump-skimmer-fuge-tank but i have also seen it where the fuge is built into the sump and goes tank-overflow-sump-fuge-skimmer-tank.. My opinion would be to place it before the fuge..

HTH<
James

I too would put it before the fuge. It is highly unlikely that even AquaC's largest model would totally strip your water and there will be organics left for the fuge. Look at it this way, the fuge acts like the DI on a RO/DI unit, getting the majority of the organics left after the skimmer is done.

Back
Top Bottom