best bristle worm trap to save the clams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if you limit the food supply, you will limit the bristleworm population.
cut back on your feedings, and the worms will lessen.

meanwhile, i'm willing to bet my tank that it wasn't bristleworms that killed the clam. they were just cleaning up the dead carcass.

Last edited:
one of my clams dies awhile ago too, and i thought it was bristle worms. it wasnt i never found out why it dies maybe a bristle worm was under it scratched it and it was an open wond then the worms would try and eat the infected area. i heard the traps work, i wouldnt know i just left mine alone. i had an arrow crab once that was a waste haha. i have heard if you put your clams up on rocks not in the sand the worms have less of a chance to be around it, but i wouldnt worry bout your worms like everyone said. they have just got a bad name, there not so bad at all.

I was looking in my tank tonight with a flashlight, and saw a quick pink worm that looked like a centepede. What if it is the one that Ziggy linked above? I have not experienced any problems with corals being eaten yet.

did you see a film over the clam? something that looks like slime? i have a predator worm in my tank that resembles an ordinary bristleworm, but has legs where the bristles are. it also has eyes. it spews out a slime coat over the victim and smothers it, then burrows a hole in it's shell and eats it.
the name is Oenone fulgida.
here is a link to some information about it, and below, i was able so snap a picture of one in my refugium-
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-04/rs/index.php
look for the one with eyes and legs-
img_893673_0_1dad27c06090308555a314a8b3c6f20a.jpg

The one I saw last night looked like the pink one in your picture. But so far my clam and coral is fine. I think I am going to try a trap anyway.

the pink ones are harmless and actually beneficial to your tank. i wouldn't worry about them. 90% of the bristleworms we see in our aquariums are good for the tank.

Back
Top Bottom