Best/favorite return pumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mannydouhnut

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys my Eco-plus 1267gph return pump failed after 1 month of running I unplugged it to blast out the intake with a turkey Baster I couldn't figure out where I had put the turkey Baster down so I just plugged it back in. Less than 24 hours later I was dead in the water if I unplugged it and plugged it back in it would kick on for maybe 2 seconds
Then kick off. So I need a new return pump and fast I am currently using a maxi- jet 1200 to keep water running through my life support system. I am think either the rio hf 32 or mag 12 but I need a few more opinions so fire away.

Mag drives get my full support here unless you wanna go with an external mount then I would pick something like iwaki or reeflo.

I do have the external option if I wanna go that route but I think I'm too much of a fiddler so I'll likely end up with leaks.

Ya, external mounts are nice and keep the heat exchange at a minimum but unless you need a very large pump I would stick to submersibles.

It's in my basement so heats not a very big issue I just would like a reliable submersible pump that is trust worthy. I know that the mag drives are reliable but my Lfs sells them for $199 I could get it online for $129 but I need it as fast as possible.

I would still order it. Even if you paid to have it overnighted it would still be cheaper which honestly as long as you have the 1200 running you could hold off a couple days.

On drs.fosterandsmith overnight shipping is $77. Do have any expierence with the rio hyperflows I like there in impellers they look like the same design as the reeflos external pumps.

I know of people using the Rios and are happy but I have no input on them other then the look itself doesn't look to be as well built as the other pumps named. $77 though! Ouch... Figured it'd be more like $50. Regular shipping is fairly cheap on dry goods though so like I said personally I would just wait the extra couple days and run the 1200.

Dr Foster has free shipping on orders over $49.
yes this is ground shipping but you should get it in like 3 days
alot cheaper than spending that extra $77 for over night !! you could use the extra $$$ for something else

I am currently using a Rio and a Mag 7. The rio was the return pump on my 36 before I upgraded the system to a 55, where I then replaced the Rio with the Mag 7. I like the Mag much better, it is silent. The rio is quiet now that it has been retrofitted as the pump feeding my dual canister filter, but as a return pump it was loud.

Well i'm going to my LFS tonight I am good friends with both the owners so I may be able to talk them down if I can't talk them down I'll likely just bite the bullet and get it anyway. Plus I don't know how long that maxi-jets gonna last I had it running a hang on back refugium/skimmer for 4 1/2 years then I had it sitting in a container for a year. The seal on it is bad it's pumping water up 4 feet and it's only putting out like 120 gph max. The rio is supposed to be reliable but it's obvious that not any are used as returns. I could still use some more input.

Love to help out as much as possible. What size tank are we looking at again? HOB or drilled? Sump size? Is there a limited space where the return pump can go?

Well I guess I'm pretty much decided just kind of wanted see if there were any other opinions on these pumps. Or maybe I could hear about a few other reliable brands I hear great things about the new aqueon quiet flows my LFS swears by them but they're expensive.

I've heard great things about the quiet flows as well...but sometimes you just have to save a couple of bucks.
I really like my Mag 7. I have a ball valve installed so I have the flow exactly how it needs to be on my tank, and without it pushes about 700 gallons per hour. I don't remember all of the original math behind it, but it fit the bill on my 55 gallon tank and 20 sump when compensating for head loss from the HOB overflow on the system and length of pipe on the system.
Here is a head loss calculator if this is of any assistance.
Darcy Weisbach - Head Loss Calculator, Online Calculators

Illlikely go with the mag12 or even the 18 if I can get a ball valve while I'm there because with 1267 didn't even need to have circulation pumps cause of the scwd I'm runnin gave me plenty enough random flow.

Love to help out as much as possible. What size tank are we looking at again? HOB or drilled? Sump size? Is there a limited space where the return pump can go?

It's a 75 mixed reef drilled. Sump is the new adhi 45 refugium Aquamart edition rated up too 250 gallons. The sump holds roughly 35 gallons. The return areas pretty big and could easily accomadate even the 18 I used such strong pumps because I have a scwd. And I hate the look of circulation pumps. The sump can handle whatever I throw at it the overflows handle a lot.

Well I bit the bullet and got the supreme classic 12 for $200 I couldn't talk them down because neither of the owners were there but at least I won't have to buy another pump for this tank ever again. It's very well built from what I can tell. The dang thing weighs three times more then my eco-plus. Correct me if I'm wrong but the impeller I appears to be flexible I imagine this is just in case a rock gets in there so it doesn't break the impeller.

Back
Top Bottom