Best foods?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rpbustillo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So far I have some marine flake with garlic for my 3 blue/green Chromis. But what is the best foods for my anemone, mushroom coral, and zoas??

For the most part you don't need to feed coral or nems. They are typically photosynthetic, they have a symbiotic algae inside them that provides nourishment to the coral (this algae is what gives the coral it's color). If you do want to supplementally feed do it sparingly and what to feed depends on the coral. As a general rule phytoplankton is probably best all around but with LPS you can feed brine or mysis shrimp. Like I said phyto is generally the best, it can be available commercially or some LFS grow their own which is live phyto. You could also get some from a local reefer. I just started culturing my own which is pretty easy. 2L pop bottles, air pump, miracle grow, light and of course live phyto. Phyto is also the food source of copepods which is what mandarin drogonettes eat.

I read that iodine and trace elements are good supplements for my Nem, mushroom, and polyps, is there a good product you would recommend?

Iodine and trace elements aren't "food", they are found in your salt mix. If you use a quality reef salt it will have higher quantities of the trace elements. If you plan to dose to increase these then you need to be able to monitor the levels and dose accordingly.

Yeah I know they aren't food I was asking about dosing them, I use the instant ocean reef crystals.

I recommend Partial water changes. It`s all you need.

I agree, partial water changes are best. I know I have seen supplements to dose trace elements but I don't know anyone who uses them. I'm sure some do but with regular water changes it isn't necissary. Dosing for calcium and alkalinity is common but as of yet I don't do it so I can't really help there.

Back
Top Bottom