Best lights for 30 gal reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reefpete

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I want to be able to keep any and all corals. Right now I have a t5ho 4 bulb coralife setup 31watts x 4

Any suggestions tank right now has a carpet max mini, hammer, and green star polyps

I have a couple of AI Sols on my 57 and they do very well. 1 unit would be enough for your reef.

If you are looking for bargain pricing, you could check out the taotronics led pods on eBay. I have seen some positive reviews about them, and the price is definitely right.

fort384 said:
I have a couple of AI Sols on my 57 and they do very well. 1 unit would be enough for your reef.

If you are looking for bargain pricing, you could check out the taotronics led pods on eBay. I have seen some positive reviews about them, and the price is definitely right.

Awesome thanks .... I have seen those dimmable ones it's just I can't really hang them in my situation but I guess I could figure that out .....

How many watts would one al sols be ?

I believe they pull 75W at full intensity. But wattage is somewhat immaterial when talking LEDs on a reef. It is all about individual diode intensity and optics.

fort384 said:
I believe they pull 75W at full intensity. But wattage is somewhat immaterial when talking LEDs on a reef. It is all about individual diode intensity and optics.

So you think one of those should do the trick on my tank?

1 AI Sol on your tank would be more than enough.

I run 2 on my 57, but they peak at 45% blue and 35% white. They are extremely powerful - especially with the installed optics.

1 AI Sol on your tank would be more than enough.

I run 2 on my 57, but they peak at 45% blue and 35% white. They are extremely powerful - especially with the installed optics.

now let me ask you...the ai sols do they have blue and white lights in one? i was looking at the nano one and they has a sliding touch mechanism which allows you to change the colors of the leds? or would i have to make a decision between white or blue?

They have the AI SOL White, which is a combo of 16 White LEDs and 8 Blue. The AI SOL Blue is 8 White LEDs, 8 blue LEDs, and 8 royal blue LEDs. The AI SOL Blue is around 20,000K at full intensity, and the white is around 14000K at full intensity.

I don't think you would get proper coverage with the nano model, unless you went with 2 nanos.

They have the AI SOL White, which is a combo of 16 White LEDs and 8 Blue. The AI SOL Blue is 8 White LEDs, 8 blue LEDs, and 8 royal blue LEDs. The AI SOL Blue is around 20,000K at full intensity, and the white is around 14000K at full intensity.

I don't think you would get proper coverage with the nano model, unless you went with 2 nanos.

ok perfect i was looking at the ai sol blues which look amazing...i think i will go with them....thanks for the help .....

and you can control the colors im assuming on the fixtures ?

No problem. Before you pull the trigger I just want to make sure you realize that results can be achieved with cheaper lights. Don't get me wrong, I like the AI's and am glad I purchased them but I don't want you to get three weeks down the road and realize you could have gone a cheaper route.

The AIs offer great control, great optics, and look great. You will be pleased with the quality. But like most things in this hobby that comes at a price.

I really appreciate that and I understand that ....I do like the control and the fact you can upgrade the lights as time goes by but yes def comes at a price lol thank you though but to be honest quality lasts and their customer support I heard is really good

For 400 bucks it's not so bad for something ill have for years hopefully

Indeed. And I can vouch for their customer service. It is great, and they are reef keepers.

I got the AI Sol Blues also and would recommend them. However, they now have the Vega which has more color spectrum available. You might research them too I believe they are close to the same price. Also remember you need to get a controller too otherwise you can't adjust the different lights and color combinations.

It is $100 more - I personally don't know if it is worth it. Adding in additional color can give you some cool effects I suppose, but it is not beneficial to the health of coral.

But, they do look pretty sweet! :)

Going to order the blacks off eBay ai sols blue and the controller I think I should be fine always exciting getting new toys lol

Reef Pete, I am following your thread. I was looking at the same lights. How do you plan to mount them?

sanderson417 said:
Reef Pete, I am following your thread. I was looking at the same lights. How do you plan to mount them?

Follow along ..... Well I have my tank by a slanted Ceiling so to save money I was going to custom make a hanging kit myself somehow because I can't use the ones ai sells ...ill post pics of my set up now

Back
Top Bottom