best macro algae for fuge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malkore

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have setup an AquaFuge hang on fuge for my 40gallon (it's about a 4gallon capacity).

I plan to toss a 28 or 32 watt PC fixture over the fuge, so I can grow macro algae to help soak up nitrates...and more importantly phosphates...as well as grow some pods.

What macro algae should I purchase for it? i'm thinking of ordering from liveaquaria.com and snagging a few soft corals (shrooms), if my LFS can't get macro algae for me.

Help?

yeah, i noticed that. I was thinking about ordering some shrooms, and possibly even an anenome (small, rose species)...to make the overnight shipping costs bearable.

the only macro i've seen locally is calupra (sp?) which sounds like a bad choice due to a lack of hardiness, and the toxins it can release.

ive never had a prob with calupra ! but have lights on 24/7 ! dont get the red macro from foster ! i bought some one time and wasnt happy with it at all ! it looked like they put it in a blender before they sent it !
kinda busy right now but later will look up the better type to use it spelled something like cheatophe ?? not to sure

Hi, i use Chaetomorpha it won't go sexual and its great for nutrient export, i believe some people are selling it on RC, hope this helps.

I found someone who'll give me cheato if I pay for the USPS priority mail. sounds like a winner to me.

Yes! Chaetomorpha for sure is the best! It grows quickly and doesn't need as much light as other species and never goes sexual. It is also disease resistant. I keep mostly chaeto with some caulerpa and some red gracilias because my tang likes to eat these. She won't touch the chaeto. That is the only downside of Chaeto that I can think of.

Back
Top Bottom