Best place for carbon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lando

Aquarium Advice Addict
hello, Just wondering where everyone puts carbon in the sump. I have the pro clear 150. Should I put the bag of carbon in the first compartment that comes from the tank? This is where the heater and built in skimmer are. then onto the trickle pad and under that is the bio balls and some LR rubble. then onto the last compartment that hold the return pump. This is where I have it now, is that appropriate? Thanks! Lando

Each sump setup will be different as far as the best place. You should put it in a place where you have good water flow thru the carbon.

I would avocate not running carbon 24X7X365. Instead run carbon for say 1 week out of every month or two.

fishfreek, why do you advise that? I'm currently running carbon constantly in a fluval 404. Just wondering what your reasons are. Will not runnung it help or hurt with algae?

Because the carbon will leech some phosphates into the system which, depending on the quality of the carbon, could be significant enough to cause algae problems.
I believe it depletes Iodine too.

I run 24/7, however im on a tight regiment. I have 2 5oz bags, one gets changed when i do my saturday water change and the other gets changed in the middle of the week. I think PO4 issues are related to cheap AC and not being responsible with media change. I personally see great improvements since I started running 24/7. JMHO though, take it with a grain of synthetic sea salt.

So how much carbon should I be using at a time. The total system is just over 90gal with the sump and the tank. I am using Marinland carbon.

Back
Top Bottom