Best Reef Magnesium Test Kit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paulm7373

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm considering getting a magnesium test kit for my sw reef settup and would like suggestions on which is the best test kit. I am considering getting Red Sea Mg test kit as I know it would be much more accurate than API, but want to hear what other people think. I've heard that the Red Sea kit involves calculations needed by the user, but the Salifert kit just gives you the reading without the user having to do any additional calculations, even though it gives you 50 tests compared to Red Sea which gives you 100.

I use salifert test kits for everything. Very accurate and easy to use.

Used Salifert for years switched to Red Sea, Im not sure what calculations you have to do, but I personally like Red Sea better, but they are both good test kits. Check Amazon for a Red Sea Kit with Cal, Mag and ALK for like $45

Used Salifert for years switched to Red Sea, Im not sure what calculations you have to do, but I personally like Red Sea better, but they are both good test kits. Check Amazon for a Red Sea Kit with Cal, Mag and ALK for like $45

I read somewhere that you have to do some counting of drops on the Red Sea or something like that. Anyone know if there's any counting or calculations involved with the Red Sea? I'm only after the Mg test kit as I already have an API test kit for everything else. How easy is the Red Sea to use?

You dispense the regent until the color change and look at the amount you USED, and look on the chart, color changes are very different, from like orange to blue, ect.

I woud not suggest using 2 different brands of test, you can't balance parameters if your results are more or less accurate between 2 brands

I never suggested using more than one brand of test for Mg. I still have so much more test solution to use in my API saltwater and coral test kits, so I'm not going to throw them all out and buy a Red Sea full test kid. API gives me a good indication, but just feel the need to get a Mg test kit and I rather spend a few dollars more and get a brand better than Seafirt or Red Sea.

I never suggested using more than one brand of test for Mg. I still have so much more test solution to use in my API saltwater and coral test kits, so I'm not going to throw them all out and buy a Red Sea full test kid. API gives me a good indication, but just feel the need to get a Mg test kit and I rather spend a few dollars more and get a brand better than Seafirt or Red Sea.

We never said you suggested to use more then one brand, or throw out all your API. We said get two magnesiums to get a better indication of your readings.

It really doesn't get much better then Salifert, Elos, and Red Sea. There are very accurate lab-grade ones but they cost upwards of $200.

Also, some of the API test kits aren't very reliable. Calcium and phosphates I know are very off from experience. I believe there is another but I am not 100% sure. If you can is upgrade those because you might be getting skewed data. Just my $0.02.

Here are the reasons why API is not a reliable test kit for maintaining a reef tank. Take for example the NITRATE and PHOSPHATE. The test result is relying on the comparison of colors on the chart. Who knows how long those charts maintain their original colors and if you notice the colors are almost the same from 5 to 20 on NO3 and 0.25 to 2.0 on PO4. The API alkalinity test kit is even worse. You count the number of drops. Have you notice the volume of each drop compared to other test kits like Salifert which uses a syringe neddle? It means API will give you an error of 1 dKH.

To answer your question about Mag test kit, I would recommend the Salifert. It is accurate and simpler than the others. The table has a graduation of 0.02 and that translates to the error you will make,

LOL, we all have preferences.... I prefer the salifert for mag these days. And in my opinion, its ALWAYS a good idea to have more than one test kit, if the results seem screwy then you can try the other one. :) Maybe I'm just anal retentive though.......LOL

I meant the use of a dropper is standard, the size of the drops does count, that's why you use the syringe and plastic needle that come with the kit. But with the Red Sea, you calculate Mg based on what's left over from a calibrated 10mm syringe.

I meant the use of a dropper isgo each remaining tandard, thesize of the drops does count, that's why you use the syringe and plastic needle that come with the kit. But with the Red Sea, you calculate Mg based on what's left over from a calibrated 10mm syringe.

In the table, the manufacturer has already converted the result based on how much you used. Other kits you have to convert by subtracting the reading from the volume at start.

The problem Im having with Red Sea Mg Test Kit is when adding the Reagent A. You have to count 15 seconds for each drop and at the same time count the number of drops. If someone interrupts you somewhere in the middle you will likely forget where you are at. I have to use a tally sheet to count the number of drops. Otherwise at my age with poor memory I keep forgeting how many drops I had after the 15 sec count.
To get the result you first have to calculate how much you have used by subtracting the end reading from the start reading.

Back
Top Bottom