Best Starfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JonSolo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all,

I currently have a 75 gallon reef tank with 140# of LR and 110# of LS. I have quite a few snails, crabs, shrimp, and corals, but no starfish. What is the best starfish to add? I do not entirely believe descriptions I read on websites selling them. I'm worried about getting a starfish that may eat part or some of my livestock.

I have a euchanaster (sp?) (got it from live aquaria) . I drip acclimated it for 6 hours and have had no problems with it. He is bright orange and on the smaller scale. I think mine is about 3 inches. I love him!

For general purpose clean-up I'd go with a brittle star. They clean up critters and wont harm any of your other livestock. I've had mine since I set up my tank. he's not much for showing off, all I ever see of him are a couple inches of his arms sticking out from under a rock (it always looks like the rock just landed on him!) but I bet if I could actually get him out from under the rock, he'd probably be about a foot in diameter by now. I love to sit by the tank and just watch him pass pieces of food from the tips of his arms along each finger under the arm all the way under the rock... verry cool :D

I have a sand sifting star. stays in the sand bed except when it tries to escape by climbing the glass. by the time he gets half way up he falls and goes about his business. stays off the live rock. not much to look at though. it is fun to watch him surface and submerge.

I like the combination of brittles and sand sifters. I have two of each in my 75 gallon. My green brittle likes to be seen. I see his entire body often. The greyish pink one is kinda shy, but I can always see his legs/arms/rays (whatever they're called) on the rocks.

Back
Top Bottom