Best Sump Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ASpec

Aquarium Advice Freak
I think I know the answer to this question, but I'm going to ask/poll for you're advice anyway.

My reef ready tank is on it's way so I've decided I want all my equipment in the sump.

I have a brand new Remora I just ordered last week/installed in the tank. I realize I could somehow convert this allowing it to working in the sump but I don't know if that's the best idea.

Thoughts? Thanks

just hang it off the side and get a long piece of tubing to lower the pump into the water. Trust me it Works great! :D

You don't think an Urchin would be better? Where does the water flow out of the Urchin?

And why are you telling me to keep the Remora... you know I'd buy again from you! :D (Kidding of course, I appreciate you're honesty)

The urchin is just like the remora, except the water comes out of the very bottom right, for in-sump.

Sorry Crawling, the Urchin exits 12" up on the side. Ideally the running water level of your sump would be at the same height for maximum noise dampening. The Remora will work fine hanging on the sump but often times there is a noise issue with the fall of the water depending on placement. In that situation the best thing to do is mod the sump so that it can sit on an inside baffle at running water level.

HTH
R-

If the sump is in a stand the noise should not be to bad with the remora! You can buy a new urchin but i think the money would be better spent on something else!

You could easily make a ramp out of acrylic for the water exiting from the Remora to flow back into the sump. This should make it almost silent.

I haven't picked up a skimmer yet for my first tank, but I'm planning to put my equipment in a sump.

It sounds like even though that's the case, I should get a HOB since it can be converted to be hanging on the sump, but not the other way around? Or should I just go with the Urchin?

Thanks!

Hrm. Would that also work on a sump that's just a rubbermaid tub? Just getting into my first tank, so I'm not sure how the setup works.

Would the water level in the sump have to be pretty high?

Or does the MaxiJet pump water up into the skimmer and then you use a tube to bring it back down?

Back
Top Bottom