Best way to raise MG in reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
C

cj10488

Ok well I was curious as to what my MG was so I got a Salifert test kit Thanks To Darin and CaptiveReefs.com and tested and to my suprise the levels was a bit Low.. Levels tested as of today
temp 82
SG 35ppt
Ph 8.0
alk 3.09
Ca 370
mg 1050
rites, rates, ammonia 0

All done with Salifert kits except ammonia, rates, rites

The Ca is low and that Is being taken care of Via Kalk... How much and how should I raise my Mg.. I know that it should be between 1350 and 1500... Easiest cheapest way would be nice..

TIA<
James

What does your salt mix test at? A waterchange might be in order. I bought some MG when I had the IO fiasco 6 months ago, when I thought my Mg would be low due to the mangrove, but ended up being twice what it should have been. Still haven't needed to use it. Mg is used up pretty slowly.

What does your salt mix test at

A waterchange might be in order
I just did one a few days ago.. Actually Sunday to be exact.. I changed out about 10-15gals. since I used tap water during for the emergency.
Still haven't needed to use it. Mg is used up pretty slowly.
I am not real happy with this Crystal Seas as the pH on a fresh batch is 8.0-8.1 and the Ca seems to be around 350-370 with the alk being where I like it at 3.09 I was thinking about changing back to either IO or Coralife unless I can find Tropic Marin around locally.. Its too spendy for shipping it online..

Any suggestions?

TIA,
James

I can Easily find Kents Salt.. Is that what you would suggest I use? Isnt Kent and IO pretty much the same.. I think If I remember correctly I tried a 50# bag of Kent and had an Alk of 5meg/l I know that nothing is really perfect but its either extremely high alk or extremly low Ca never a balance...

James

You might pm steve-s on that, I know he uses and recommends Kent. It is made by AquariumSystems (the makers of IO), but it is supposed to be done to Kent's specification, a different recipe.

Thanks Kevin.. I will ask check out what he gets on his levels.. I have enough of this salt left to last until the end of the month... The only things I can find all the time for salt is Kent and Crystal Seas.. Most places that stock IO or Coralife are always sold out.. The next brand that I switch to Is going to be the one that I stay with for quite some time.. I am getting tired of this switching salts.. I dont like messing with things all the time..

coralife was great except 500ppm Ca and 2.5 alk
Kent I believe was 380 Ca and 5.0 alk
IO was about the Same
Red Sea was absolute garbage..
Crystal Seas low Mg, Low pH, perfect alk, Low Ca

I am either thinking of ordering Tropic Marin online or getting Coralife again.. I will check with Steve about the Kent..

Thanks Again Guys..
James

Actually I am thinking that I might look around and go with the Seachem Reef Salt.. Anyone have any Experience with it? Darin?

TIA,
James

Seachem is okay if you don't mind ultra high borate levels. Seachem's salt buffering system relies mainly on borate salts instead of carbonate. As a result you may get high alkalinity test results which are good, the only problem is you will not know how much of that alkalinity is from carbonate vs. the high borate. Of course Seachem sells a test kit for around $25 that resolves alkalinity into carbonate, borate and magnesium...but the jury is still out on the accuracy of the borate portion of the kit. After reading articles that hinted at the possible toxic effects of elevated borate in reef systems I switched to Reef Crystals and have now switched to Kent. My first batch of Kent tested Calcium=400ppm, alk=3.6meq/l at a salinity of 33ppt. Unfortunately my pH kit ran out the day before I switched.

My first batch of Kent tested Calcium=400ppm, alk=3.6meq/l at a salinity of 33ppt
Those are the kind of levels that I am looking for.. I do regular water changes but I HATE adding stuff like C-balance.. I want to drip Kalk nightly and thats It.. and on rare occasions use C-balance.. Its getting tiring..

TIA,
James

Back
Top Bottom