better use...powerhead or circulation pump??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TRDfan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I did a search and could not find a proper answer to this...I just got my ML maxi jet 900 today and im not too sure which to use it as (a Powerhead or Circulation pump)

Im setting up a 29G fowlr and the only other circulation in the tank is the 280gph rated ML hob filter.

thoughts???

I looked at that model yesterday and although I have never used this new version of the MJs, it appears that they have higher flow rates as circulation pumps just from what the packaging says. If I'm remembering that correctly, I would use it as a circulation pump to get the extra flow out of it.

What is the gph on the 900 for Powerhead and circulation pump?
Because I have the 600 in my 60gal tank and it has 750gph for the circulation. For a 29 gal tank I think the 900 will be a little to strong for the tank, I would say Powerhead

What is the gph on the 900 for Powerhead and circulation pump?
Because I have the 600 in my 60gal tank and it has 750gph for the circulation. For a 29 gal tank I think the 900 will be a little to strong for the tank, I would say Powerhead

from what i read/understand the rule of thumb is that on a fowlr the flow rate should be 10-20x the tank size and coral tank should be 30-50x the tank size

so i figured id get the 900 just in case i decide to get some goodies down the line :angel:

It really all depends what corals you want to keep. Sps corals like a lot of flow, Lps medium flow, and soft corals low to medium flow. I would say try out the circulation pump towards the bottom of the tank aimed at the surface and see what that does. If it is to much try the Powerhead mode.

Back
Top Bottom