Big Mombasa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uncwalley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm almost embarrased to say, but I have two Big Mombasa protein skimmers. They are old and I got them for free. I set one up tonight and got some super crappy results. I'm not sure what kind of powerhead they come with, but what kind of volume should I be pumping through this thing to make it worth plugging in. For the noise this thing produces, I want to be swimming in dirty foam.

C'mon. Somebody has to know something about protein skimming in general, not just this particular one. How much water do you put through your skimmer?

Unfortunately, I haven't the money to invest really. I have a Rio 800 powerhead that I could hook up to it, which would undoubtedly be better than the pump that comes with it, but when I try, it just pushes water out the air hose. Water on the floor makes my wife unhappy. Am I missing something, or is using a powerhead with an airhose attachment just a bad idea.

from what I can gather, a Powerhead must be converted for use with a protien skimmer. so a regular rio 800 may not work. there needs to be an air intake hose and a place to plug that in.

Rocket's spot on. You need the RIO 800 RVT which is a skimmer pump. You may also prefer what was recommended in the link which was a Maxi-Jet 1000 which comes which the venturi.

There was also one additional mod

Elizabeth M. Lukan said:
After I modified it by putting a piece of rigid airline tubing about 2/3 the way down with a limewood airstone on the end and hooked it up to a Tetra Luft pump (set on about 9 1/2), it worked well. It does have a tendency to overflow if I don't clean the venturi on the Maxi-Jet regularly

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom