Biggest question in salt water hobby need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yea I know I just got my live rock today of cl 100 lbs for 100 dollars I'm taking it slow I'm only 16 and only work on the weekends so I'm just going slow ill also pot a pic of what I have so far to show you in a few

Gregcoyote said:
Wait a minute. You want your tank well cycled and I guarantee you drop a shopping bag full of corals into a system this small, they will die. Start slow and build up the population of corals and fish. THERE ARE NO SHORT CUTS.

I know the more established the better but once your BB has taken hold your corals won't die because your tank is semi new. I could see if you added them mid cycle them dying but many people begin adding corals a week after their cycle with no issues including myself.. I do agree that the longer you wait the better but it isn't a must to wait that long.

I'm going to wait at least a month before adding anything mabey 1 fish

Robbiesamp said:
I'm going to wait at least a month before adding anything mabey 1 fish

Fish you definitely wanna take more time with since they create more of a Bioload so I would reccomend only adding new fish or two every 2-4 week's to allow a recovery period for you BB. Just a lil heads up lol

The color you will get will be worth the extra money!

I didn't mean to sound harsh, but read the posts on these forums. They are full of people sad about the fact their corals are dying. And one thing in common is that they rushed things too much. Every coral you add that survives, gives you the experience you need to add the next one. Reef tanks break in over a long time, they get better at handling bio loads as they stock up reserves of bacteria and algae. The equates directly to the long term happiness of coral and fish. So enjoy your reef as you add critters and start off with easy ones first. As always IMO.

I understand I'm not just starting iv been in this hobby for 2 years now I will never rush a reef tank I learned from my first one but thanks I have lots of patents and work at my local fish store I have people coming in every week asking why her/his coral is dead and I ask how long your tank has been up and they say one week or so and I say "that's why" so I understand thanks

Also here is a pic of my tank so far ill post a pic of my rock in the morn I'm drying it out it sounds bad but I got it off cl and don't know what bad things they have in it or what they have treated their tank with so if you say it's bad it might be but remember
(I'm starting fresh) and not fresh water haha

Attachments

• image-1015063945.jpg
    image-1015063945.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 76
Robbiesamp said:
Also here is a pic of my tank so far ill post a pic of my rock in the morn I'm drying it out it sounds bad but I got it off cl and don't know what bad things they have in it or what they have treated their tank with so if you say it's bad it might be but remember
(I'm starting fresh) and not fresh water haha

I love BF/corner tanks :)

Here's my 54! Currently running 1 Radion fixture as it had more spread than the others. The corner tanks are a little tricky to properly light, but I love watching it in the bedroom.

I still haven't mounted my lights properly, but the "plan" is to,build a corner shelf a few feet above and use the hanging kit. It will give more spread.

Have you thought about what lights you are going with?

Attachments

• image-3642176076.jpg
    image-3642176076.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 57
Didn't realize that's a very old pic. Looks totally different now with rock and coral. I have had the brain for over 3 years. It's a slow grower, it's my first coral ever. The new lights are making it very happy, and I can see the growth.

Yea iv been looking at getting 2 120 wt LEDs on Ali express which is an online store but don't know which ones yet

Back
Top Bottom